The Sermon on the Mount
PART THREE - THE LAW
Very few people truly understand the purpose of the law of Moses or Jesusí relation to it. In this part of the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus gives us an idea about both.
I.JESUS CAME NOT TO DESTROY THE LAW OF MOSES, BUT TO FULFILL.
A. THE LAW IS COVENANT OR CONTRACT. WHAT HAPPENS WHEN A CONTRACT IS FULFILLED?
B. WHEN IS THE OLD LAW TO BE FULFILLED?
1. "Till heaven and earth pass away."
2. "Till all things be accomplished"( John 19:28-30 ).
II.WHAT WAS THE PURPOSE OF THE OLD TESTAMENT LAW?
A. IT WAS ADDED BECAUSE OF TRANSGRESSIONS ( Gal. 3:19 ).
1. To reveal sin ( Rom. 7:7 ).
2. To condemn the sinner ( Gal. 3:10-11 ).
B. TO INSURE THE PROMISE MADE TO ABRAHAM ( Gen.12:1-3; Gal.3:6-7 ).
C. TO PREPARE HUMANITY FOR THE CHRIST ( Gal. 3:23-25 ).
D. IT WAS NEVER INTENDED TO BE PERMANENT ( Gal. 3:19, 16, 25 ).
III.WE SEE THEN THAT THE LAW WAS GIVEN TO BRING US TO CHRIST, TO MAKE US READY FOR HIS COMING. WHEN CHRIST CAME THERE WAS NO LONGER THE NEED FOR THE LAW OF MOSES BECAUSE IT WAS FULFILLED...IT HAD SERVED ITS PURPOSE. IT WAS THEREFORE REMOVED.
IV.NOW NOTICE SOME OF THE CONTRASTS JESUS MAKES BETWEEN HIS LAW AND THE LAW OF MOSES:
A. "THOU SHALT NOT KILL"..."BUT I SAY UNTO YOU" ( Mat. 5:21-26 ).
B. "THOU SHALT NO COMMIT ADULTERY" ( vs. 27-30 ).
C. DIVORCE FOR ANY CAUSE ( vs. 31-32; Mat. 19:9 ).
D. SWEARING AND HONESTY ( vs. 33-37 ).
E. REVENGE AND KINDNESS ( vs. 38-42 ).
F. LOVE EVERYONE ( vs. 43-48 ).
G. PHARISEES AND SADDUCEES NOT ONLY DISOBEYED THE LAW, BUT BY THEIR TRADITION TWISTED THE MEANING OF THE SCRIPTURES TO THEIR DESTRUCTION ( Mat. 15:3; 5:20 ).
QUESTIONS FOR DISCUSSION:
1. Where is the Law of Moses?
2. How long was the Old Law to last?
3. Who was the seed to come?
4. Why was the Old Law given?
5. When were all things accomplished?
6. Who are we to love?
7. Instead of swearing, what should we do?
8. What did the Jews do that made them law-breakers?
9. Whose law are we under today?
MEMORY VERSE: Mat. 5:17