Worship - 05
Lesson Five - The Lord's Supper
TEXT: Mat. 26:25-28
A. JESUS, ON THE BETRAYAL NIGHT, INSTITUTES THE LORD'S SUPPER.
1. Unleavened bread, fruit of the vine.
2. Bread divided by breaking into pieces for each person, hence the title, "breaking bread" ( Acts 2:42; 20:7 ).
B. THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN BY JESUS INTENDED FOR US( Mat. 28:20 ).
I. WHAT IS THE PURPOSE?
A. "THIS DO IN REMEMBRANCE"( 1 Cor. 11:23-24 ).
B. A SIGN OF OUR HOPE OF HIS COMING( 1 Cor. 11:26 ).
C. IT IS A MEANS OF TELLING OTHERS OF HIS DEATH( vs. 26 ).
D. IT IS AN ACT OF FELLOWSHIP & COMMUNION( 10:16-17 ).
1. As we partake of the emblems, we become united with one another through that which the emblems represent.
2. It is an act which demonstrates Unity, every record they came together( Acts 20:7; 1 Cor. 11:17, 20, 33 ).
E. CHRIST COMMANDED IT( 1 Cor. 11:23 ).
II. WHEN IS IT TO BE OBSERVED?
A. WHEN DID THE EARLY CHURCH OBSERVE IT?( Acts 20:7 ).
1. Which first day? which Sabbath?
2. We must walk in the light( Rom. 14:23 ).
B. WE ARE TO CONTINUE STEDFASTLY( Acts. 2:42 ).
C. NOT FORSAKING IT OR ANY OTHER ASSEMBLY( Heb. 10:25 ).
III. HOW DO WE OBSERVE IT?
A. A WORTHY MANNER( 1 Cor. 11:27-29 ).
1. We must have communion with his body & blood( 1 Cor. 10:16 )
2. We are to discern his body( 11:29 )Remembrance( vs. 24-25 ).
3. We are to examine ourselves ( vs. 28 ).
4. No divisions or distractions( vs. 17-22, 33 ).
B. WHAT IF WE PARTAKE UNWORTHILY?( vs. 27 ).
C. FAILURE CAN BE A DISASTER( vs. 30 ).
IV. WHO OBSERVES THE LORD'S SUPPER?
A. IT IS TO BE OBSERVED IN THE KINGDOM( Luke 22:29-30 ).
B. WHEN IS THE KINGDOM TO COME?
1. Mark 9:1; Col. 1:13-14. Somewhere between.
2. The kingdom was to come with power( Acts 1:6-8 ).
3. When was that?( Acts 2:1-4 ).
C. HOW DOES ONE ENTER THE KINGDOM?( John 3:5 ).
D. IT IS OBSERVED BY THE "ONE BODY"( 1 Cor. 10:17 ).
E. WHAT IS THE BODY?( Eph. 1:22-23 ).
F. HOW DO YOU ENTER?( 1 Cor. 12:13 ).
A. THE LORD'S SUPPER IS COMMUNION WITH JESUS & HIS BLOOD.
B. THAT COMMUNION IS OURS IF WE OBEY( Rom. 6:3 ).