THE SERMON ON THE MOUNT
PARTFIVE - FINAL EXHORTATIONS
In this last section of the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus discusses several subjects, but all still relate to the statement of Chapter 5 and verse 20. These again are areas where the Pharisees and scribes fell short of what God expected.
I. "JUDGE NOT THAT YE BE NOT JUDGED" ( vs. 1- ).
A. BUT JESUS SAYS THIS, ALSO ( John 7:24; 1 Cor. 6:2 ).
B. THESE PASSAGES TALK OF JUDGING. WHAT DOES JESUS MEAN IN Mat. 7?
1. vs. 2. Do we criticize others for sins we commit?
2. vs. 3-5. Take care of your own sin first.
II. "GIVE NOT THAT WHICH IS HOLY..."( vs. 6 ). Some will never appreciate spiritual things.
III. "ASK AND IT SHALL BE GIVEN YOU..."( vs. 7-12 ).
A. GOD LOVES US AND PROVIDES FOR US.
B. GOD ANSWERS PRAYER.
C. GOD SOMETIMES SAYS NO ( vs. 9-11 ).
1. God will no do evil to us when we ask a blessing.
2. What if we ask for a serpent or a stone?
D. WE ARE TO BE LIKE OUR FATHER ( vs. 12 ).
1. Involves kindness and blessing ( 1 Pet. 3:8-9 ).
2. "The Golden Rule."
IV.THE BROAD AND NARROW WAYS ( vs .13-14 ).
A. MORE ARE GOING TO BE LOST THAN SAVED.
B. THE WAY OF SALVATION IS MORE DIFFICULT.
C. THE ONES CONSIDERED HERE ARE THE JEWS. MORE LOST THAN SAVED.
V.THE JEWS RELATIONSHIP TO JESUSí TEACHING( vs. 15-20 ).
A. "BEWARE OF FALSE PROPHETS..."( vs. 15-20 ).
1. The false teacher has the appearance of a disciple ( 2 Cor. 11:14-15 ).
2. What they do ( their fruits ) makes them known.
B. THE DECEIVED ( vs. 21-23 ).
1. Just wanting to be saved is not enough. We must do His will.
2. Just doing is not enough. These did good things, they gave Jesus the credit. But what they did was not what Jesus told them to do, so they are condemned (2 Tim. 3:13).
C. THE WISE MAN AND THE FOOLISH MAN ( vs. 24-27 ).
1. The wise man not only hears but does ( James 1:22-25 ).
2. Faith only salvation doesn't exist. James was written to Christians whose lives didn't measure up.
VI.JESUS TAUGHT AS ONE HAVING AUTHORITY( vs. 28-29 ).
A. JESUS HAS ALL POWER, THE POWER TO RULE( Mat. 28:28 ).
B. NO POWER IS EXEMPT FROM HIS RULE( Eph. 1:20-23 ).
QUESTIONS TO ANSWER:
1. What is meant "judge not that ye be not judged?"
2. Can we keep from judging?
3. Does God always answer prayer?
4. What is the "Golden Rule?"
5. What is the"Broad Way" and who travels it?
6. How do you determine if a prophet serves God?
7. Is it enough to accept Jesus as your personal savior?
8. Whose house will stand in judgment?
MEMORY VERSE: Mat. 7:21