A. IDEAS SERMONS COME FROM THE STRANGEST PLACES.
1. My own fevered mind … current events (TV, Newspapers, etc)…overheard remarks.
2. The idea for this one comes from Nolan Mack.
B. THE WORD ALL IS USED 3 TIMES (4 in the Greek), IN THIS PASSAGE, AND EACH
TIME SUGGESTS ITS OWN IMPORTANT LESSON.
C. IT WOULD BE GOOD TO “DIG THEM OUT.”
A. JESUS’ POSITION BEFORE HIS BIRTH.
1. Deity – and with God (John 1:1).
2. Glorified (John 17:5).
3. Power (Col. 1:16-17; Heb. 1:1-3). Involved in the creation.
B. WHAT DID HE DO?
1. He became flesh (John 1:14).
2. A purpose (Heb. 2:9; 1 Pet. 2:24).
3. An emptying of self (Phil. 2:5-8).
a. Not a change in his nature or being – his place.
b. Voluntary (John 10:17-18), … on account of his love (John 15:13).
C. WHAT DID GOD DO?
1. Raised and exalted him (Heb. 2:5-9).
2. Put all things under his feet (Eph. 1:20-23).
D. JESUS IS GOD’S SPOKESMAN TODAY (Luke 10:16).
1. His word is our standard of judgment (Acts 17:30-31; John 12:48).
2. We must submit to his will (Matt. 7:21, 24-27).
3. His authority effects us in every facet of life (Col. 3:17).
4. We must be sure that we remain within the bounds of his word (2 John 9).
A. WHAT IS A DISCIPLE?
1. A learner.
2. One who lives by what he has learned (John 8:31).
3. One who is of the fellowship of the saved (Acts 14:21; Acts 6:7).
a. Note how disciples were made in 14:21.
b. Note how one became a disciple in 6:7.
4. It is the disciple of Christ who is going to heaven (John 8:32).
B. GOD’S DESIRE REVEALED IN THE GREAT COMMISSION.
1. To whom were the apostles sent to make disciples (Mark 16:15).
a. One must hear the word to believe it and be saved (Rom 10:17).
b. God wants all to be saved (2 Pet. 3:9).
1 Tim. 2:3-4
A. JESUS HAS ALL AUTHORITY – WE MUST HEAR HIM (Matt. 17:5).
B. WE MUST DO WHAT WE HEAR (Matt. 7:24, 26).
C. BEING A DISCIPLE INVOLVES A WAY OF LIFE (Phil. 1:27).
1. Raised from baptism to a new life (Rom. 6:4).
2. We put off the old man with his doings (Col. 3:9-10).
D. THE SCRIPTURES – THE TEACHINGS OF THE APOSTLES ARE:
1. Roadmap to heaven, the blueprint for our lives (2 Tim. 1:13-14)
2. They fully supply us to all that we need to know (2 Tim. 3:16-17).
3. They equip us not only for heaven, but for godliness (2 Pet. 1:3).
4. They are nothing but fluff if application cannot be made (Titus 2:15).
E. THE PREACHER’S DUTY (Acts 20:20, 26-27; 2 Tim. 4:1-2).
F. THE DISCIPLES DUTY – TO HEAR AND DO ALL THINGS (Matt. 7:21; Jas. 1:22).
A. SAME WORD IN THE ORIGINAL WITH A WORD THAT MEANS TIME, OR DAYS.
B. WE ALL HAVE A DUTY TO THE GREAT COMMISSION:
1. To obey its commands – to believe and be baptized.
2. To carry it out – to teach others (2 Tim. 2:2).
C. WHERE DO YOU STAND TODAY?