A. GREAT COMMISSION, SHORTLY BEFORE ASCENSION.
B. THE MAIN POINT OF JESUS’ COMMAND.
1. "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations..."
2. To "make disciples," therefore, is the GOAL of evangelism
C. ARE YOU REALLY A DISCIPLE OF JESUS?
1. More than likely you believe in Jesus.
2. You might even be one to attend church services regularly.
D. WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO BE A DISCIPLE?
A. THE WORD "DISCIPLE"...
1. The word "disciple" literally means A LEARNER
2. Vine's , "one who follows another's teaching." AN ADHERENT.
3. Disciples tried to be like of their teachers. IMITATORS(Luke 6:40).
B. Do you have a desire to follow Jesus and be like Him?
A. A DISCIPLE IS "ONE WHO ABIDES IN JESUS' WORDS"( John 8:31 ).
1. Implies being a diligent student of the teachings of Christ( 2 Tim. 2:15 ).
2. It also requires one to be a "doer" of the Word( Mat. 7:21-27; Jas. 1:21-25 ).
B. ALSO "ONE WHO LOVES THE BRETHREN"( John 13:34-35 ).
1. With a love patterned after the love of Jesus ("as I have loved you").
2. With a love that is visible to the world ("by this all will know").
3. A disciple wants to be like his teacher( John 15:13; 1 John 3:16 ).
C. A DISCIPLE IS "ONE WHO BEARS MUCH FRUIT"( John 15:8 ).
1. Notice the word "much" (also found in verse 5)
a. Jesus is not talking about an occasional good deed
b. But a lifestyle which prompts people to glorify God!( Matt. 5:16 ).
2. Failure to bear fruit results in being severed from Christ( John 15:1-2 ).
D. ONE WHO PUTS JESUS AHEAD OF ALL ELSE ( Luke 14:26 ).
1. Before anyone else, including members of our own family( Matt. 10:34-37 ).
2. Who do we serve? (Matt. 6:24; 1 John 2:15).
3. We must be willing to suffer for Jesus ( Luke 14:27 ).
a. Following Christ often involves ridicule and persecution( 2 Tim. 3:12 ).
b. Even if we escape such things, we must still be willing to expend time and
effort in promoting the cause of Christ in positive ways( 2 Cor. 12:15 ).
4. We must forsake all for Jesus ( Luke 14:33 ).
E. ONE WHO IS WILLING TO BEAR HIS CROSS( Luke 9:23 ).
1. Involves a sacrifice of will (1 Pet. 4:1-2; Luke 22:42).
2. Involves live for him (2 Cor. 5:14-15).
3. Paul did it (Gal. 2:20) It is fair.
F. DISCIPLESHIP REQUIRES TOTAL COMMITMENT.
A. THERE IS THE PROMISE OF "FUTURE BLESSINGS"( Rev. 21:1-8 ).
B. THERE ARE ALSO "PRESENT BLESSINGS" (Eph. 2:4-7).
1. Children, heirs (Rom. 1:16-17; 1 John 3:1).
2. What do we seek (Luke 18:14).
3. The peace we seek (Phil. 4:4-7). joy, assurance, access, peace of mind.
A. ACCORDING TO JESUS, IT INVOLVES BAPTISM.
1. Why baptism.
a. Puts us in contact with the blood of Jesus Christ (Rom. 6: 3-7 )
b. It is also the means by which one "puts on Christ"( Gal. 3:27 ).
2. But what is baptism?
a. Obedience ( Acts 2:36-38; 1 Thess. 1:8 ).
b. Burial in water, and resurrection to new life( Rom. 6:3-4; Col. 2:12 )
c. A "burial", an immersion( meaning of the Greek "baptidzo").
B. BUT BAPTISM IS ONLY THE BEGINNING, TEACHING AND OBEDIENCE
MUST FOLLOW( Matt. 28:20 ).
1. This brings us back to the very definition of discipleship( John 8:31 ).
2. In this way we embark on a life devoted to learning and doing all that Jesus has
commanded us to do
A. ONLY THOSE SCRIPTURALLY BAPTIZED AND DEMONSTRATING THE MARKS
OF DISCIPLESHIP CAN TRULY BE CALLED DISCIPLES.
B. ONLY THEY CAN REALISTICALLY LOOK FORWARD TO THE REWARDS OF
DISCIPLESHIP ( Matt. 28:20 ).