A. OTHER THAN JESUS, WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE BIBLE CHARACTER?
1. Often overlooked is Barnabas.
a. A prophet and teacher (Acts 13:1).
b. Called an apostle, in the sense he was sent by the church in Antioch (Acts 14:14).
2. Acts 11:24. “For he was a good man.”
B. ARE YOU A GOOD PERSON, LIKE BARNABAS?
C. WHAT MADE BARNABAS A GOOD MAN?
A. WHAT PROMPTED THIS ACTION (vs. 32-35).
B. BARNABAS WAS
1. Not in it for his own glory (Matt. 6:2-4; 5:16).
2. Not a lover of material things (1 Tim. 6:9-10, 17; Matt. 6:19-21).
3. Influenced by his compassion (1 Pet. 3:8; 1 John 3:16-18).
4. He first gave himself (2 Cor. 8:5).
C. WE HAVE OUR CALLING (Gal. 6:10).
A. BOTH SAINT AND SINNER NEED EXHORTATION (Acts 2:40; 2 Tim. 4:2).
B. WE ARE ALL TO EXHORT ONE ANOTHER (Heb. 3:12-13; 10:24-25).
A. NOT THREATENED BY PAUL (Acts 11:20-23, 25-26).
B. DIDN’T HAVE TO BE THE CENTER (Rom. 12:3).
C. PAUL SHARED CREDIT, AS DID BARNABAS (1 Cor. 3:5-9).
A. HE SPOKE UP FOR PAUL IN JERUSALEM (Acts 9:26-27).
B. THE JOHN MARK DISPUTE.
1. John Mark could not continue the 1st Missionary Journey (Acts 13:5, 13).
2. Paul did not want him on the 2nd. (Acts 15:36-38).
3. This caused them to go their separate ways (Acts 15:39-40).
4. Mark changed his ways, Paul changed his mind (2 Tim. 4:9-11). Was it Barnabas?
C. PATIENCE WITH OTHERS CAN BE A VIRTUE (1 Thess. 5:14; Eph. 4:1-3).
A. CARRIED AWAY IN PETER’S SIN (Gal. 2:11-15).
B. REPENTED AND MENTIONED BY PAUL – IMPLIES FAITHFULNESS (1 Cor. 9:6).
C. 2 Cor. 13:5. BE HONEST AND REPENT (1 John 1:6-9).
A. FAITH INCLUDES TRUST (Heb. 11:6).
B. FAITH IS OUR SHIELD (Eph. 6:16).
C. FAITH IS OUR VICTORY (1 Cor. 15:54-57; 1 John 5:4).
D. BUT FAITH MUST WORK (Gal. 5:6; James 2:24).
E. FAITH CAN GROW WEAK OR BE LOST (Heb. 3:12).
A. ANXIOUS TO BRING PAUL TO ANTIOCH (Acts 11:25-26).
B. HE WAS IN ANTIOCH TO PREACH (Acts 11:22-23).
C. THE MISSIONARY JOURNEYS TOOK HIM FAR (Acts 13:1-3)
D. EVEN WHEN HE HAD TO GO WITHOUT PAUL (Acts 15:36-39).
E. HIS WORK MET SUCCESS (Acts 11:24)
F. LIKE PAUL HE KNEW HIS JOB AND LET GOD DO HIS (1 Cor. 1:17; 3:5-7).
A. BARNABAS WAS A GOOD MAN.
B. CAN WE SAY THAT WE ARE GOOD PERSONS?
C. ARE WE LIKE BARNABAS?