Be Not Ashamed
A. ASHAMED: “Feeling humiliated or embarrassed, as from a sense of inadequacy or
B. SHAME: “A painful feeling of lost the respect of others because of the improper
behavior, incompetence, etc. of oneself or others … or capacity for such feelings.”
C. JESUS HAS DONE NOTHING WE SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF.
D. DOES JESUS HAVE CAUSE TO BE ASHAMED OF US? I HOPE NOT.
A. SOME WERE ASHAMED OF HIS BACKGROUND.
1. Isa. 53:1-3. A carpenter’s son.
2. Homeless (Matt. 8:20).
B. DESPISED AND REJECTED BECAUSE OF HIS TEACHING (John 6:66; 18:36).
C. WE GLORY IN WEARING HIS NAME (1 Pet. 4:16; Rom. 10:11).
D. HIS EXAMPLE INSPIRES COURAGE, NOT SHAME (Phil. 1:20; 2 Tim. 1:12).
A. OBSERVATIONS ABOUT THE WORD
(John 17:17; 8:31-32; James 1:21, 25; Rom. 1:16).
B. IT DOES NOT APPEAL TO THE WEALTHY OR INTELLECTUAL
1. Foolishness to the intellectual Greeks (1 Cor. 1:18, 22-23).
2. Annoying and intrusive to the sophisticated sinner (Eph. 4:17-19; John 3:19-20).
C. ITS BEAUTY AND POWER IS IN ITS SIMPLICITY (1 Cor. 24, 26-29).
D. WE SHOULD BE EAGER TO TEACH IT TO OTHERS (Gal. 6:14; Psa. 119:45-47).
A. JEWS HAD NICE SYNAGOGUES &PAGANS HAD ELABORATE TEMPLES.
B. EARLY CHRISTIANS MET IN A NUMBER OF PLACES.
1. Homes (Rom. 16:3-5; Col. 4:15; Philem. 1-2)
2. Rented Schools (Acts 19:9).
3. An undisclosed third story room (Acts 20:8-9).
4. The Temple (Acts 5:42) and various synagogues (Acts 19:8).
5. I have worshipped with the brethren just about everywhere – Odd-fellows,
Commercial Garage, Catholic Library, Schools, and Parks.
C. WE ARE BLESSED WITH THIS “LITTLE” BUILDING.
D. BUT WE MUST REMEMBER (Acts 7:48-50; 17:24).
E. THE CHURCH IS GOD’S HOUSE (1 Pet. 2:5; 1 Cor. 3:9).
1. Built on the foundation of Jesus Christ (1 Cor. 2:2; 3:11).
2. Built according to the blueprint (1 Cor. 3:10; 2 Tim. 1:13-14).
3. It is his precious bride (Eph. 5:25), bought with a price (Acts 20:28).
A. PROPER ATTITUDE TOWARD SELF AND OTHERS (Rom. 12:3, 16).
B. DON’T BE ASHAMED OF THE POOR (James 2:1-9).
C. THOSE WHO LEAD IN PUBLIC WORSHIP:
1. Preacher many not be sophisticated or eloquent (1 Cor. 4:9-13; 2:1-5).
2. Psa. 95:1-2. Song leader may not be the most skilled.
3. Others may be slow of speech.
D. WHAT DOES GOD SEE AND HEAR (2 Cor. 8:12).
E. THE SECRET OF SUCCESSFUL SERVICE? (vs. 5).
A. Phil. 1:20. CHRISTIANS HAVE NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF (1 Pet. 4:16).
B. WE OUGHT RATHER TO REJOICE (Phil. 4:4-5)