Now That I Am A Christian
A. A TRUE CONVERT WILL MAKE EFFORTS TO TEACH HIS LOVED ONES.
1. The true convert is one because of a concern for his own spiritual welfare.
2. The true convert loses his attitude of self-centeredness and becomes aware
and concerned about the spiritual welfare of others( Phil. 2:1-4 ).
a. Concerned for his own spiritual welfare,
b. Concerned for the welfare of others.
3. It is reasonable to expect then, that the convert will show interest in bringing
others to Christ. We need to place a great deal of emphasis here.
B. THE WORD "FRUITFUL" SUMMARIZES ALL THE RESPONSIBILITIES OF
CHRISTIANS( John 15:8; Rom 7:4; Luke 8:9-15 ).
A. “FRUITFUL” MEANS BEING PRODUCTIVE, CONTRIBUTING POSITIVELY TO
HIS ENVIRONMENT AND COMMUNITY.
B. There are many areas in which a Christian should be
fruitful...family member, citizen, job, the spiritual realm.
C. two things must BE UNDERSTOOD ABOUT FRUITFUL CHRISTIANS.
1. There is no other kind of Christian than a "fruitful" one.
2. fruitful in many areas. Not limited to "teaching home Bible studies" or
“personal work” calls, but everywhere God gives responsibility.
D. Hopefully we have little trouble being fruitful in most
areas. But one area give us all trouble. That is the
responsibility to teach others.
II. THE EARLY CHURCH SERVES AS A MODEL.
A. THE GREAT COMMISSION CARRIED OUT IN JUST 29 YEARS!
1. Mat. 28:19. Given in 33 A. D.
2. Col. 1:6, 23. Paul says that the gospel was preached to every creature.
3. Acts 2:41; 47; 4:4; 4:32; 5:42; 6:7; 8:4, 12; 11:19-20; 18:8; 19:10.
B. HOW DID THEY DO IT?
1. Not by building and unlocking the doors on Sunday morning in hopes that
someone would happen in.
2. Acts 5:42; 8:4. They went everywhere teaching the Word. Today?
C. Today our religion seems to be "church building centered."
1. Which is more important, "holding services" or saving souls?
2. How important is the word. i.e. What is our interest in our Bible classes?
3. Personal evangelism is so demanding and time-consuming that it serves as a
real test of spiritually.
a. Mat. 7:16. What may we conclude if there is no fruit?( John 15:1-6 ).
b. Those who are not spiritual will never do this work.
c. One must be truly converted to Christ.
A. "Mass evangelism" ( depending on preachers, meetings, radio, etc. ), has
never been the exclusive method of teaching the gospel.
1. Jesus taught publicly, but much of his teaching was on a personal basis.
2. Very few of those who are invited to services ever come. Something like 3%.
3. Only 20% of Americans regularly attend services( once a week ).
4. It is very hard to get our own members to come as they should. Why should
it be any different with regard to lost people?
B. The secret is to take the gospel to the masses, not wait for
them to come and get it( John 1:40, 41 ).
C. GOOD EXAMPLES TO EMULATE( Acts 8:4; 20:20; 2 Tim. 2:2; 1 Pet. 3:15 ).
A. Enthusiasm for teaching RESULTS from having learned.
B. There is no joy equal that of seeing one whom we have
taught become obedient to the Gospel.
C. How many people will be in heaven because of your
efforts? Will you be there because OF your efforts?