A. THE CONTEXT SPEAKS OF THE SIN OF COMPLACENCY IN LAODICEA.
B. vs. 20. CHRIST’S INVITATION HERE IS FOR ALL.
1. Much to be learned about that invitation from this verse.
2. Much to be learned about the response that God desires.
A. idou; used as imperative lo!; KJV - behold, lo, see. (Strong).
B. INDICATIVE OF ITS IMPORTANCE è LOOK! TAKE SPECIAL NOTE OF THIS!
1. This invitation given in the context of the problem of sin (Rom. 6:23).
2. This invitation relates to our relationship to God and eternity (Rev. 3:21).
A. WHO AT MY DOOR IS STANDING?
1. Jesus, the Son of God (Mark 1:1).
a. Divine (Col. 2:9; John 8:58).
b. With God in Creation (John 1:1, 14).
c. Sent by God to do his will (John 4:34).
2. God’s answer to sin (John 3:16; 1 John 4:9-10).
a. God’s expression of his love (Rom. 5:8).
b. And his answer to justice (Rom. 3:23-26).
3. God’s King (Eph. 1:20-23; Acts 2:36).
a. God’s spokesman (Heb. 1:1-2; John 12:49).
b. His word is final (John 12:48).
c. To reject Jesus’ words is to reject God (Luke 10:16).
4. Our friend and protector (Phil. 4:4-5; Heb. 2:11).
B. WHAT IS HE DOING THERE? WHAT DOES HE WANT?
1. He is standing and waiting.
a. The Lord is long suffering (2 Pet. 3:9).
b. Why is he so patient and persistent? (vs. 15; 1 Tim. 2:3-4).
Even You and Me!
2. He knocks è makes himself known.
a. Jesus was endorsed by God (Matt. 3:17; 17:5).
b. His words identified him (John 7:46; Matt. 7:28-29).
c. His deeds revealed who he was (John 3:1-2; Acts 2:22).
d. He is revealed to all in the the gospel (Matt. 28:19-20; Mark 16:15).
A. WE MUST HEAR HIS VOICE (John 5:25).
1. Hearing includes literally becoming aware of what is said (Rom. 10:14)
a. The Great Commission (Mark 16:15).
b. Someone must tell my neighbor – will it be me?
2. Proper hearing includes “hearkening” (Rom. 10:16).
hupakouo; “to listen attentively; to heed a command or authority … “(Strong).
“to listen, hearken 1. properly, of one who on a knock at the door comes to listen who it is
(theduty of the porter), Acts 12:13 2. to hearken to a command, to obey…” (Thayer).
3. In his voice is eternal life (John 6:68-69).
B. WE MUST OPEN THE DOOR.
Have you ever heard the doorbell and not answered?
1. There is something for us to do (James 1:21-22).
2. Faith only is a false teaching (James 2:24).
3. Have we put his word to work in our lives; have we heard and obeyed?
(Matt. 7:24-27, 21).
There is something for us to do!
C. Matt. 19:16. WHAT GOOD THING SHALL I DO?
1. Obey Jesus (Heb. 5:8-9).
2. Where do we find the will of Jesus to obey it? (2 Tim. 3:16-17).
Go by the Book!
“I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.”
A. FELLOWSHIP WITH GOD AND JESUS IS THE RESULT OF ACTIVE RESPONSE.
1. Again, we must do something.
2. We must hear and open the door.
B. WE CANNOT HAVE THAT FELLOWSHIP WHILE IN SIN (1 John 1:6).
C. WE MUST COME OUT OF THE SIN (vs. 7).
1. We saw how Jesus is God’s answer to sin (Rom. 5:8).
2. We are baptized into his death, set free from sin (Rom. 6:3-4, 5-7; 17-18).
D. WE WERE REDEEMED TO BE HOLY AND WITHOUT BLEMISH (Col. 1:21-22).
E. WHAT HAPPENS WHEN CHRISTIANS SIN? (1 John 1:6-7; 2:1-2; Acts 8:22).
A. JESUS INVITES ALL! EVEN THE VILEST OF SINNERS.
B. IF YOU HAVEN’T ANSWERED, HE IS STILL KNOCKING AT YOUR DOOR.
C. DO NOT IGNORE OR SLAM THE DOOR IN HIS FACE. HIS VISIT IS VITAL.
D. WON’T YOU ARISE AND OPEN THE DOOR THIS MORNING?