Blessed Is He Whose Sin Is Covered
A. THIS PSALM FOLLOWS SHORTLY DAVID'S SIN WITH BATHSHEBA.
B. THE WORD "COVER" IS USED IN DIFFERENT SENSES.
1. To cover with protection( Isa. 51:16 ).
2. To cover with destruction( Ez. 26:19 ).
3. To cover with forgiveness( Psa. 32:1 - note other phrases in Psalm ).
A. WHAT IS SIN?( 1 John 3:4; 5:17; James 4:17 ).
B. HOW DOES GOD REGARD IT?( Rev.3:4; Matt. 23:27; Isa. 1:6; 2 Pet. 2:22 ).
C. THE CONSEQUENCE OF SIN:
1. Separates from God( Isa. 59:1-2; Col. 1:21 ).
2. Results in misery and suffering - David( 2 Sam. 12:10-14 ).
3. Eternal punishment( Rev. 21:8 ).
A. MUST REALIZE THIS IS A FIGURE OF SPEECH. SEE OTHER
EXPRESSIONS IN PASSAGE( Acts 3:19; 22:16; Psa. 6:2 - healed ).
B. NOTICE SOME THINGS THAT CANNOT COVER SIN.
1. Denial( Rom. 3:23; 1 John 1:8 ). Who could make such a claim.
2. Concealment - Adam & Eve, Achan, Jonah( Heb 4:13; Ecc. 12:14 ).
3. Refusal to think about it( Psa. 51:3 ).
a. What makes us think if we forget, God does, too?
b. God remembers over the years( 2 Pet. 3:8 ).
4. Distance - Leaving the scene - Jonah( Psa. 139 ).
5. Good deeds are fine, but( Psa. 51:16; 1 Sam.15:21-23 ).
C. GOD ALONE CAN COVER SIN, AND ONLY ON HIS TERMS WILL HE.
1. We have our sins covered through his blood( 1 Pet. 1:18-19 ).
2. What is the power of the blood of Christ( Heb. 9:11-15; Rom. 5:8-9 ).
3. What is the significance of his life?
a. Calvinists teach it is his righteousness imputed to us that saves.
b. This is one passage they use( Heb. 10:1-10 ). But...
c. Qualified him as a Savior( Heb. 7:25-28 ).
d. Serves as an example( Heb. 5:8-9 ).
4. Where do we meet the blood( Rom. 6:3-4 ).