Calling On His Name
A. WELL KNOWN PASSAGE – GREATLY MISUNDERSTOOD.
1. A man asked, “Does Rom. 10:13 contradict Matt. 7:21?”
2. Since God is the author of both, both must be true (John 17:17).
B. WHAT THEN IS THE MEANING?
1. Man dying in a car wreck cries our “Lord, Lord.” Is he saved?
2. More to calling than merely saying the words.
C. WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD?
A. IT DOESN’T MEAN UNIVERSAL SALVATION (Rom. 10:16-17; Matt. 7:13-14).
B. IT DOESN’T MEAN FAITH ONLY SALVATION.
1. vs. 14. Believe, call, saved.
2. Heb. 11:6. Believe, come, reward.
3. Rom. 10:9-10. Confess. see John 12:41-42.
Believed but would not confess.
4. Acts 11:21. Believe and turn.
5. James 2:14-24. Faith without works è DEAD!
6. Mark 16:15-16. Believe and be baptized.
C. CALLING ON HIS NAME IS NOT MERELY SAYING HIS NAME AND/OR PRAYING.
1. Not all who say “Lord” shall be saved (Matt. 7:21)
All who call shall be saved (Rom. 10:13).
2. Matt. 7:21. All who do the will of God shall be saved..
Rom. 10:13. All who call shall be saved.
It follows that “calling” is another way of saying “doing his will.”
3. Luke 6:46.
A. Acts 2:20-21. THOSE SAVED ON PENTECOST CALLED ON THE LORD.
1. The sermon. Conviction of sin and proofs of resurrection.
2. The question: “What shall we do?” (vs. 37).
3. The answer: “Repent and be baptized” (vs. 39-41).
B. Acts 22:1-16. THE CONVERSION OF SAUL OF TARSUS.
1. His past life.
2. His question: “What shall I do Lord?” (vs. 10).
3. The answer: “Go into Damascus and there it will be told thee.”
4. What was he told? (vs. 16). “Be baptized - wash away thy sins - calling
on his name.
A. IT IS INDIVIDUAL – EACH MUST DO IT.
B. IT IS UNIVERSAL – ALL MUST DO IT.
C. IT IS INCLUSIVE – WE MUST DO ALL OF IT.