A. MOST ARE FAMILIAR WITH PETER’S CONFESSION( Matt. 16:16 ).
B. THE FOUNDATION OF OUR FAITH & CENTRAL TRUTH OF N. T.
C. THEN JESUS CONFESSES PETER – WE NEED TO STUDY.
A. “BLESSED” MEANS HAPPY, FORTUNATE, PRIVILEGED( Matt. 5 ).
B. THE REASON FOR THE BLESSING – GOD’S REVELATION TO PETER
( Matt. 11:25-27 ).
A. THE WORD CHURCH AND ITS OLD TESTAMENT USAGE.
1. ekklesia, only here and Matt. 18:17 in the gospels. Matthew is the gospel
to the Jews, and ekklesia has an OT background.
2. Regular translation in the Septuagint for the Heb. Qahal – “congregation” or
“assembly” of Israel( Acts 7:38 ).
3. Jesus promises to build “my” church (“my” is emphatic in the Greek.)
Contrasts with “church” of the nation of Israel.
B. JESUS PAINTS THE PICTURE OF A SPIRITUAL BUILDING BY USING THE
WORDS “BUILD” AND “ROCK.”
1. Jesus is the foundation, the chief cornerstone
( Acts 4:10-12; 1 Cor. 3:11; 1 Pet. 2:4-8 ).
2. Each Christian becomes a living stone in a spiritual structure which founded
upon Christ( 1 Pet. 2:5; Eph. 2:19-22 ).
3. Peter, being the first to confess the deity and Messiahship of Jesus becomes the
first “stone” laid in the building – Then only in prospect, but in reality on
a. petra – a mass of rock distinct from petros, a detached stone( Vine ).
b. Peter is not the foundation, but just one stone in the wall like the rest.
c. The fact that Jesus is the Christ is the foundation upon which the
A. “KEYS” IN SOME PASSAGES – TOTAL AUTHORITY.
1. Isa. 22:22. Prophetic of Christ.
2. Heb. 3:6; Rev. 3:7. Christ is over God’s house and has its keys.
B. “KEYS” ALSO REPRESENTS THE ABILITY TO OPEN OR REVEAL.
1. The insignia of the scribe was a key( Luke 11:52 ).
2. Peter fulfilled this function in his revealing of the gospel( Acts 2; 10 ).
C. “BINDING” AND “LOOSING” HAVE TO DO WITH DECLARING
SOMETHING LAWFUL OR UNLAWFUL.
1. This privilege was not limited to Peter( Matt. 18:18 ).
2. The Rabbis spoke of binding and loosing, but there is in no way any implication
of authority. They were merely declaring a thing to be of God( Matt. 23:4 ).
3. “Shall have been bound.”
4. This was the work of the apostles( Matt. 28:19-20 ).
5. The spoke not from human wisdom – revelations from God
( 1 Cor. 2:12-13; Gal. 1:11-12 ).
6. We cannot exercise this function – we must rely on the apostles.
7. To reject the apostles is to reject Jesus and God( Luke 10:16 ).
SPIRITUAL HOUSE, THE CHURCH.
B. WHAT MUST I DO TO BECOME A PART OF THAT HOUSE.