Drawing Near to God
A. DRAWING NEAR - GETTING CLOSE TO GOD.
1. Not buddy buddy. Reverence must be maintained( Heb. 12:28-29 ).
2. In reliance and for protection. An intimacy of relationship.
B. UPON WHAT DOES THIS ADMONITION REST?( 10:19-21 ).
C. HOW DO WE APPROACH GOD?
A. JESUS CRITICISM OF THE JEWS( Matt. 15:8-9 ).
B. GOING THROUGH THE MOTIONS( Rev. 2:2-4 ).
C. JESUS TAKES US BEYOND MERE CEREMONY( John 4:19-24 ).
A. WE LIVE IN FAITH( Gal. 2:20; Heb. 11:6 )
1. Faith in his power( 2 Cor. 4:13-14 )..
2. Faith in his motive( Rom. 5:8 ).
3. Faith in his honesty( Rom. 3:3-4 )
B. GOD HAS PROVEN HIMSELF( 2 Tim. 2:11-13 ).
C. SO( Heb. 11:1; 2 Tim. 1:12 ).
A. GOES BACK TO THE OLD LAW ( Lev. 16:3-15 ).
1. Aaron was to make atonement for the people by offering sacrifices.
2. The blood of the sacrifice was to be sprinkled on the mercy seat( Heb. 9:13 )
B. A FIGURE FOR THE NEW TESTAMENT
1. The sprinkling of Jesus' blood mediates a new covenant( Heb 12:24 ).
2. Our redemption through the offering of his blood( 1 Pet. 1:2 ).
3. Sin is forgiven and the conscience is clean( Heb. 10:22 ).
A. OUR RESPONSE TO THE SACRIFICE. GOES BACK TO THE OLD LAW
B. IT IS IN WASHING WE ARE REGENERATED, BORN AGAIN( Titus 3:5 ).
C. WITH WHAT ARE WE WASHED?( Eph. 5:26; Heb. 10:22 ).
D. AN OBVIOUS REFERENCE TO BAPTISM( Acts 22:16; 8:36-38 ).
A. IF YOU HAVEN'T BEEN BAPTIZED YOU ARE NOT CLEAN.
B. THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED SHOULD APPRECIATE THE WORK
OF JESUS AND DRAW NEAR TO GOD.