A. IMPORTANT FOR ALL TO KNOW ABOUT ELDERS.
B. GOD'S PLAN - EVERY CONGREGATION IS TO HAVE THEM( Acts 14:23 ).
C. "A GOOD WORK" - LET'S EXPLORE THE SCRIPTURES.
A. NOBODY'S PERFECT, BUT THEY MUST POSSESS ALL QUALIFICATIONS.
B. NEGATIVE QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Without reproach - of unimpeachable character.
2. No brawler - see footnote.
3. No striker - not pugnacious.
4. No lover of money - not serving for material gain( Matt. 6:19-21 ).
5. Not a novice - inexperience and pride.
6. Not self-willed - self-pleasing, dominated by self-interest, and inconsiderate of others asserts his own will. Tunnel vision, can only see his own way!
7. Not contentious - Not seeking trouble, nor stirring it up, not overly sensitive.
8. Not soon angry( James 1:19-20; 2 Tim. 2:24-26 ).
C. POSITIVE QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Husband of one wife. One living wife. Widowers, yes! Divorcees, no!
2. Temperate - self-control. Temper and Habits.
3. Sober-minded (James 3:1; Heb. 13:17). Souls are at stake!
4. Orderly, kosmios, orderly, well-arranged, decent, modest.
5. Given to hospitality( 1 Pet. 4:9; Heb. 13:2 ).
6. Apt to teach, "having or showing a tendency or likelihood. Suitable for a particular person, occasion or place."
a. Engaged in the activity, showing ability.
b. Able to do so correctly, knowledgeable and experienced in the word.
c. Not necessarily public. Public pronouncements may be called for.
7; That ruleth well his own house:
a. Children in subjection - may allow for the singular.
b. Having children that believe - must be plural. Not accused or riot or unruly. Believe in what? ( Rev. 21:8 ).
c. 2 questions: How many? and How long?
d. Purpose ( 1 Tim. 3:5 ).
8. Of good testimony from them that are without - personal character and good morals. Are you a good neighbor?
9. Holy, undefiled by sin, sanctified, set apart( 2 Cor. 6:17 - 7:1 )
10. Lovers of good( Rom. 12:9; Matt. 5:6; 1 Cor. 13:4-7 )
11. Just - fair minded, rendering to each his due. No prejudice!
A. JESUS GAVE US A PATTERN FOR THE CHURCH AND ITS PROVISIONS.
B. HE GAVE A PATTERN FOR YOUR LIFE.
C. WHAT DOES HE WISH FOR YOU?