A. WHAT IS A MIRAGE? MANY HAVE PERISHED PURSUING THEM.
B. SATAN USES MIRAGES.
1. He is a liar (John 8:44). We need to be aware of his traps.
2. Satan cannot help us to satisfy our needs.
C. WE WANT TO DISCUSS SOME OF HIS MIRAGES.
A. WE ARE TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCED, BUT WE ARE THE SAME.
B. NEEDS, DESIRES, AND WEAKNESSES THE SAME (Ecc. 1:2-11).
1. Man still loves and hates; what caused Cain to murder is still with us
( 1 John 2:11-12).
2. That which Satan used to appeal to Eve appeals to us (Gen. 3:6; 1 John 2:16).
C. MAN STILL NEEDS GOD & HIS LAW (Luke 21:33; 1 John 2:17; John 12:48).
A. WHAT IS IT? Nothing is right or wrong in itself. Religious truths are subjective.
Anything that seems to benefit you and add to your well-being, without harming others
is right and morally good for you. Each person is free to decide for himself what is
good and evil.
B. WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY?
1. The “New Morality” isn’t new (Judges 17:6; Isa. 5:20-21).
2. God warns against it (Prov. 14:12; Jer. 10:23).
3. What happens when people abandon the values and ethics taught in Scripture
4. Though all the world reject God, his word stands (Prov. 11:21; Matt. 24:35).
5. The Bible presents a better “philosophy” – based on Love (Rom. 13:8-10).
A. THE FREEDOM GOD PROMISES IS NOT LICENSE (Gal. 5:13; 1 Pet. 2:16).
B. FREEDOM IMPLIES RESPONSIBILITY
“Freedom we abuse is freedom we lose!”
ARE WE WILLING TO ACCEPT THE CONSEQUENCES OF OUR FREEDOM?
C. NOBODY IS ABSOLUTELY FREE, IN THE SPIRITUAL SENSE
(Rom. 6:16-18, 20).
D. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE IF WE ARE SLAVE ANYWAY? (Rom. 6:21-23).
E. OFTEN WE ALLOW OURSELVES TO BECOME THE SLAVES OF MEN
(Rom. 12:2; 2 Pet. 2:18-19; Col. 2:8; Gal. 3:1; 1 Cor. 4:6).
F. TRUE FREEDOM IS ONLY IN CHRIST.
1. From fear (2 Tim. 1:7).
2. From death (Heb. 2:14-15).
3. From sin (John 8:31-36).
A. ABUNDANT LIVING IS NOT FOUND IN POSSESSIONS (Luke 12:15).
B. MATERIAL THINGS PERISH (Matt. 6:19-21).
C. BUT WHAT IF THEY DON’T PERISH? (1 Tim. 6:7; Ecc. 2:18-19).
D. REAL HAPPINESS IN NOT IN MATERIAL POSSESSIONS (Ecc. 5:10-11).
E. ONLY SPIRITUAL POSSESSIONS CAN SATISFY (Matt. 6:19-20).
1. We have peace on earth (Phil. 4:4-7).
2. We have a home in heaven (2 Cor. 5:1; Heb. 11:8-10).
A. GOD EXPECTS US TO ENJOY LIFE (Ecc. 2:24-26; 3:13; 5:18-19).
B. WHAT IF PLEASURE COMES WITHOUT RESPECT TO GOD’S LAW?
(2 Cor. 5:10; Prov. 21:17).
1. Solomon’s experience (Ecc. 2:1-11).
2. His conclusion (12:13-14).
C. THERE WILL COME A DAY WHEN FLESHLY PLEASURES DON’T PLEASE
(11:9 – 12:1).
A. ALL THE GOOD THAT SATAN SEEMS TO OFFER IS JUST A MIRAGE.
B. ON THE OTHER HAND, IN JESUS THERE IS LIFE (John 10:10)