A. WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO GROW IN KNOWLEDGE?( 2 Pet. 1:2-11 ).
B. HOW CAN WE BE SURE OF GROWTH IN KNOWLEDGE?
C. WHY SHOULD WE DESIRE TO GROW IN THIS KNOWLEDGE?
A. INVOLVES THE DEVELOPMENT OF EIGHT "GRACES"( 2 Pet. 1:5-7 ).
1. We must "abound" in these eight "graces"( 2 Pet. 1:8 ).
2. More than simply increasing our "intellectual" knowledge!
3. A FULLER AND MORE PERSONAL knowledge of Jesus Christ!
a. Which comes by developing the Christ-like attributes defined above.
b. The more we grow in these "graces", the more we really "know" Jesus.
4. That it involves more than intellectual knowledge is also evident from the
Greek word used for knowledge in( 2 Pet. 1:2-3, 8 ).
a. epiginosko, "to become thoroughly acquainted with, to know
thoroughly, to know accurately, know well" ( Thayer ).
b. Knowledge is demonstrating these graces in our lives.
B. INVOLVES DEVELOPING THESE IN CONJUNCTION WITH EACH OTHER
1. 2 Pet. 1:5, add(or "supply"), epichoregeo, "to furnish besides, i.e. fully
supply, (figuratively) aid or contribute"( Strongs ).
a. Before each grace mentioned, the word "add" is implied
b. Suggests the idea of "each grace working in harmony with the others to
produce an overall effect."
2. Notice also the preposition "to" (or "in") in( 2 Pet. 1:5-7 ). This suggests that
"each grace is to temper and make perfect the grace that goes before it."
3. Thus each grace is necessary, developed in conjunction with each other.
C. THIRD, IT INVOLVES DILIGENT EFFORT.
1. 2 Pet.1:5,10. diligence, spoude; "despatch, eagerness, earnestness"( Strong )
2. We do not "accidently" or "naturally" develop these graces!
A. GRACE AND PEACE ARE MULTIPLIED IN KNOWLEDGE( 2 Pet. 1:2 ).
1. All men experience God's favor to some degree( Matt. 5:45 ).
2. Only in Christ can one enjoy the "fulness" of God's favor and peace
( Eph. 1:3; Phi 4:6-7 ).
B. 2 Pet. 1:3-4. THROUGH THIS KNOWLEDGE GOD GRANTS US:
1. All things that pertain to life and godliness.
a. "Life" refers to eternal life.
b. "Godliness," the pious conduct which comes out of devotion to God.
2. Precious and exceeding great promises( Gen. 3:15; 12:1-3 ).
3. The object? "Partakers of the Divine Nature"( Col. 3:9-10 ).
4. A result of escaping the corruption of the world - SIN!
C. FAILURE RESULTS IN SPIRITUAL MYOPIA AND AMNESIA( 2 Pet. 1:9 ).
1. The object of being a Christian is to be like Christ!( Rom. 8:29 ).
2. Failure to so grow is an indication that we forgot why we were redeemed by
the blood of Christ in the first place!
a. To have our sins forgiven, yes...
b. And that we might become what He wants us to be - LIKE HIS SON!
D. WE WILL NEVER STUMBLE( 2 Pet. 1:10 ).
1. But we do sin( 1 John 1:8, 10 ).
2. Sin results from digressing from these graces.
E. ENTRANCE INTO THE "EVERLASTING KINGDOM" ( 2 Pet. 1:11 ).
1. Referred to by Paul in( 2 Tim. 4:18 ), the ultimate destiny of the redeemed.
2. By possessing the eight graces, we will be able to live victoriously in this life
and to joyously anticipate what lies ahead( 2 Tim. 4:6-8 ).
A. WE SHOULD BE SUFFICIENTLY MOTIVATED TO GROWTH.
B. WE MUST GIVE DILIGENCE TO GROW.
C. HAVE WE FORGOTTEN WE WERE PURGED FROM OUR OLD SINS?
1. We have, if we are apathetic in our desire to grow in these "graces"!
2. If so, we need to repent and pray for forgiveness!