Have This Mind In You
A. THE LOVE OF PAUL FOR THE SAINTS MANIFEST IN THIS BOOK.
1. His prayer( 1:3-11 ).
2. His desire to live for their benefit( 1:12-30 ).
3. He closes the chapter with this exhortation( 1:27-30 ).
B. THEY NEED THE MIND OF THE SUFFERING JESUS.
A. THE IMPORTANCE OF OBEYING – “If there be any ….”
1. Exhortation in Christ( paraklesis, encouragement or exhortation ).
“If you can be encouraged to do anything through Christ, do this.”
2. Consolation of love( paramuthion, consolation, comfort, encouragement ).
“If Paul’s or Jesus’ love means anything to them.”
3. Fellowship of the Spirit( Eph. 4:1-3 ). We are one in heart.
4. Tender mercies( affections and sympathies – Rom. 12:9-10; 15 ).
5. Compassions( sorrow for the sufferings and troubles of others and urge to help ).
B. THE CONTENT OF THE EXHORTATION – BE OF THE SAME MIND.
“LIKE-MINDED” – KJV ALIKE!
1. Have the same love( Matt. 22:37; 1 Pet. 1:22 ).
2. Being of one accord ( lit. “fellow-souled ).
3. Of one mind –
a. Reference to goals( Phil. 1:27; Col. 3:1-4 ).
b. Reference to thoughts( Phil. 4:8; 1 Cor. 1:10 ).
c. Reference to faith( 1 Cor. 1:10; Eph. 4:4-5 ).
4. Nothing through strife – A product of carnality( 1 Cor. 3:1-3; James 4:1-4 ).
5. Nothing through vain-glory. Pride seeks its own( Rom. 12:3; Luke 14:7-11 ).
6. But in lowliness of mind – Humility( 1 Pet. 5:5-7 ).
a. Each counting the other better than himself.
b. Watching out for our brother( Matt. 20:26-28 ).
A. CHRIST’S HUMILITY IS SEEN IN HIS SACRIFICE AND SERVICE.
1. Existed in the form of God – see Vine and Robertson on “form.”
2. He counted not the being on equality with God a thing to be grasped.
See Vine on “prize.”
3. He “emptied” himself.
a. Have this mind in you.
b. What am I holding back( Luke 9:23 ).
4. Taking the form of a “servant”(slav ). Whose slave?( Matt. 20:28; Heb. 5:8-9 ).
5. Being made in the likeness of men( John 1:14 ). He humbled himself.
a. Humility resulted in obedience – even unto death!! Cost.
b. As it will for us( James 4:6-10 ).
B. THE RESULT OF CHRIST’S HUMILITY.
1. God highly exalted him.
a. Gave him a name above every name( Matt. 28:18; Eph. 1:22-23 ).
b. every knee and every tongue.
2. We, too, will be exalted( Rom. 8:16-18 ).
a. But our knees must bow!
b. Our tongues must confess.
c. When? Now or later( 2 Cor. 6:1-2 ).