"I will put thee in a cleft of the rock, and will cover thee with My hand" (Exo. 33.22)
A. A SONG OF JOY AND PRAISE THAT CHRIST IS OUR SAVIOR.
1. Based on God putting Moses in the cleft of the rock and covering him with His hand.
2. #363-"Hymns for Worship Revised" – #127-"Sacred Selections for the Church."
B. BACKGROUND TEXT ABOUT THE AUTHOR Fanny J. Crosby, BY WAYNE WALKER AVAILABLE ON REQUEST.
The song suggests that Jesus is a Savior who gives us numberless blessings.
He hideth my soul in the cleft of the Rock, Where rivers of pleasure I see."
A. JESUS, OUR WONDERFUL SAVIOR.
1. This is why Jesus came (Matt. 1:21; Luke 19:10).
2. Why is this wonderful?
a. Undeserved (1 John 4:9-10).
b. From the wrath of God (Rom. 5:8-9).
B. AS GOD HID MOSES IN THE CLEFT OF THE ROCK, SO HE PROVIDES FOR US
1. Help to overcome trial (Heb. 4:15-16).
2. Comfort in time of sorrow and anxiety (2 Cor. 1:3-5; Phil. 4:6-7).
C. RIVERS OF PLEASURE, THE ABUNDANCE OF BLESSING AS GOD’S CHILDREN
(1 John 3:1; Rev. 22:1-2; Phil. 4:4-5).
"A wonderful Savior is Jesus my Lord, He taketh my burden away;
He holdeth me up, and I shall not be moved, He giveth me strength as my day."
A. JESUS OFFERS TO TRADE BURDENS (Matt. 11.28-30).
1. Jesus bore our sins in his body (1 Pet. 2:24).
2. He is the propitiation, the satisfaction of justice (Rom. 3:24-26).
B. GOD UPOLDS THE RIGHTEOUS (Psa. 37:18; 63-6-8).
1. The righteous cannot be moved (Psa. 55:22; John 10:27-28).
2. God will preserve him (Rom. 8:31-37).
3. And will give strength to overcome and accomplish (Eph. 6:10-11; Phil. 4:13).
"With numberless blessings each moment He crowns, And filled with His fulness divine,
I sing in my rapture, O glory to God, For such a Redeemer as mine."
A. COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS?
1. Paul mentions “thanksgiving” in every mention of prayer (Phil. 4:6).
2. All blessing comes from God (James 1:17; Matt. 5:45).
3. Every spiritual blessing is in Christ (Eph. 1:3).
B. IN HIM WE ARE MADE FULL, COMPLETE – WHAT WE OUGHT TO BE (Col. 2:9-10).
C. WE HAVE A REDEEMER.
1. REDEEMED, lutroo: “1. to release on receipt of ransom: 2. to redeem, liberate by payment of ransom” (Thayer)
2. The price paid (1 Pet. 1:18-19). – see Psalm 49:6-8, 15.
3. Therefore, we can sing with rapture and glorify God for such a Redeemer (Col. 3.16).
"When clothed in His brightness, transported I rise To meet Him in clouds of the sky;
His perfect salvation, His wonderful love, I'll shout with the millions on high."
A. WE HAVE THE PROMISE OF JESUS’ RETURN ON A CLOUD (Acts 1:9-11).
B. WE WILL BE TRANSFORMED!
1. We will be changed (1 Cor. 15:52-53).
2. God has prepared something wonderful for us (Phil. 3:20-21).
3. We shall be like him (1 John 3:2).
4. “Behold I tell you a mystery, …” (1 Cor. 15:51; 1 John 3:2).
C. THE DEAD SHALL BE RAISED (John 5:28-29).
D. JESUS WILL BRING THEM WITH HIM (1 Thess. 4:14).
E. THOSE OF US WHO ARE LEFT? (1 Thess. 4:16-18).
F. OVERWHELMED WITH JOY AT HIS COMING (Rev. 5:9-13).
A. THE WORLD WE LIVE IN IS DRY AND THIRSTY WITHOUT THE KNOWLEDGE OF THE SAVIOR.
B. THE LORD OFFERS SHADE FROM THE HEAT, AND SHELTER FROM THE ELEMENTS.
C. ALL THIS IS A PRODUCT OF HIS LOVE. LET US PRAISE HIM.
Wayne S. Walker