Heroes of Faith
TEXT: Heb. 12:1-2
A. "A MAN DISTINGUISHED FOR EXCEPTIONAL COURAGE, FORTITUDE, BOLD ENTERPRISE, ONE IDEALIZED FOR SUPERIOR QUALITIES OR DEEDS OF ANY KIND."
B. DO YOU HAVE A HERO? WHY IS HE A HERO? WHAT DID HE DO?
C. IN THE LESSON WE WANT TO TALK ABOUT "HEROES OF FAITH."
I.A CLOUD OF WITNESSES( Heb. 12:1-2 ).
A. COMPASSED ABOUT, SURROUNDED.
B. SO GREAT A CLOUD OF WITNESSES. WHAT WITNESSES?( Heb. 11 ).
C. ADMONITION BASED ON THE TESTIMONY OF THESE WITNESSES.
II.WHAT DO THESE WITNESSES TELL US ABOUT FAITH?
A. WHAT IS FAITH?( Heb. 11:1 ).
1. Assurance, Conviction.
2. 2 Tim. 1:12. "I know... I am persuaded."
B. HOW DOES FAITH WORK?( vs. 4; Gen. 4:1ff. ).
1. What was the difference in the sacrifices? how many differences
2. Where does faith come from?( Rom. 10:17 ) Abelís faith?
3. What does Cainís sacrifice tell us about his faith?
C. ENOCH, BY FAITH, WALKED WITH GOD( vs. 5; Gen. 5:24 ).
1. What happened to Enoch? Why?
2. What does in mean to walk with God?( 2 Cor. 5:7; Luke 1:6;
Rom. 6:3-4; Gal. 5:16-24; John 8:12; 1 John 1:6-7 ).
D. WHAT IS FAITH - PART TWO?( Heb. 11:6 ).
1. Doctors and sickness.
2. Swimming lessons.
III.THE ROSTER OF HEROES, THEIR NAMES AND WHAT THEY DID.
A. THEY BELIEVED GODíS PROMISES.
B. THEY DID WHAT GOD SAID.
C. IN THESE TWO ELEMENTS LAY GODíS APPROVAL. WITNESS IS BORNE( vs. 2, 39; Gal. 5:6 ).
A. WE HAVE SUCH A CLOUD; JESUS IS THE ULTIMATE HERO.
B. LET US THEREFORE
1. Lay aside every weight.
2. And the sin which doth so easily beset us.
3. And let us run with patience the race that is set before us.