Hiding from God
A. AS CHILDREN, ALL HAVE TRIED TO HIDE SOMETHING FROM OUR PARENTS. SOONER OR LATER WE WERE FOUND OUT.
B. WHEN ADAM & EVE SINNED THEY TRIED TO HIDE THEIR NAKEDNESS
AND SHAME. THEY WERE FOUND OUT, TOO.
C. IT'S THE NATURE OF MAN TO HIDE HIS SIN( John 3:19-20 ).
1. Sometimes this works when trying to hide from man.
2. Danger comes when do something wrong and think that God will not see it.
D. WHY WOULD MEN AND WOMEN BE SO FOOLISH AS TO TRY TO HIDE
SIN FROM AN ALL-KNOWING GOD.
A. FEELINGS OF GUILT - SHAME.
1. Shame: "A painful feeling of guilt, embarrassment, or disgrace. Something
that is unfortunate or regrettable"( Webster ).
2. Shame can be overwhelming( Ezra 9:6 ).
a. David, even after being forgiven( Psa. 51:1-17 ).
b. Peter( Matt. 26:74-75 ).
c. Judas( Matt. 27:3-5 ).
3. A necessary quality( 1 Tim. 2:9 ). Shamefastness, aidos , "a sense of shame,
modesty,...Shamefastness is that modesty which is `fast' or rooted in the
character..." ( Vine's )
4. But one that is lost( Phil. 3:19; Jude 1:13; 1 Cor. 6:5; 15:34; Isa 3:9 ).
5. We should sorrow in our shame( James 4:6-10; 2 Cor. 7:10 ).
B. JUDICIAL GUILT AND FEAR OF PUNISHMENT.
1. "I was afraid because I was naked; and I hid myself"( Gen. 3:10 ).
a. He had done something against God and knew it was wrong.
b. He was fearful of what God was going to do to him( 2:16-17 ).
2. Heb. 10:31. "It is a fearful thing." ( Matt. 10:28 ).
a. God knows our secrets( Psa. 139:1-2; Heb. 4:12-13 ).
b. A perfect judge and standard( 2 Cor. 5:10; Acts 17:30; John 12:48 ).
3. "Be sure your sin will find you out"( Num 32:23 ).
A. WE MISTAKE GOD'S LONGSUFFERING FOR APPROVAL OR INABILITY TO DISCOVER.
1. God was longsuffering with many:
a. Gen. 6:1-6 - gave man 120 years to repent.
b. The Israelites( Num. 14:11-21 ).
c. The Ninevites. Gave them another chance( Jonah 1-4 ).
d. Is long suffering with us( 2 Pet. 3:9 ).
2. Gal. 6:7-9. God is aware of what is going on in our lives. Punishment will
come to those who do not repent of their sin.
3. 2 Peter 3:9; 2 Tim. 2:11-13. God keeps his promises to both righteous and
B. IS THERE ANYTHING THAT GOD DOESN'T KNOW?
( Dan 2:20-22; Prov. 15:3; 2 Chron. 16:9; Jer. 23:23-24 ).
A. JONAH'S RELUCTANCE( Jonah 4:1-3 ).
B. THE SLOTH OF THE ONE TALENT MAN( Matt. 25:24-30 ).
A. Heb. 4:11-13. ALL THINGS ARE OPEN TO HIS SIGHT.
B. Psa. 139:7-12. PROMISE AND WARNING.
C. Rev. 3:20. HIS INVITATION.