A. JULY 4 WE CELEBRATE THE SIGNING OF THE DECLARATION.
1. 13 Colonies under British rule. Oppressive and high taxes without any voice.
"Taxation without representation."
2. Independence desired and fought for - a New Nation Born.
B. INDEPENDENCE DID NOT MEAN PEOPLE WOULD BE WITHOUT LAW.
1. New nation, new government.
2. After years of failure under the Articles of Confederation, a Constitution was
produced, insuring a government "of the people, by the people, and for the
C. THERE ARE SOME PARALLELS SEEN IN OUR FREEDOM IN CHRIST.
A. THE CONSEQUENCES ARE DIRE (Rom. 3:23; 6:23).
B. IT IS THE TRUTH THAT SETS US FREE (John 8:32).
C. TRUTH MUST BE OBEYED (1 Pet. 1:22; Rom. 6:16-18).
D. Rom. 6:1-7; 8:2; Gal. 5:1.
A. A HOLY AND DISTINCT PEOPLE (1 Pet. 2:9-10).
a. A Peculiar people (1 Pet. 2:11-12).
b. Made up of people of faith, both Jew and Gentile (Eph. 2:19). God's family.
B. A SPIRITUAL KINGDOM.
1. The preaching Jesus (Matt. 3:1-3; Mark 1:14-15; Luke 17:20-21).
2. Jesus replies to Pilate (Matt. 18:36, 38).
3. Taken from the Jews (Matt. 21:43).
4. Given to people of faith (Col. 1:13-14).
5. That cannot be shaken (Dan. 2:44; Heb. 12:28).
A. FREEDOM DOES NOT EXCLUDE LAW (1 Cor. 9:21).
1. The Law of Christ (Gal. 6:2).
2. A Law of Liberty (Jas. 1:25; 2:12).
3. What is law? "A rule of conduct, considered as binding, a system
or body of such rules." Funk & Wagnall's. (John 12:48).
B. Rom. 7:4-6. SET FREE FROM THE OLD. "That we might be joined to another."
C. SO THEN, FREEDOM IS NOT ABSOLUTE (Gal. 5:13; 1 Pet. 2:16).
D. DOES NOT EXCUSE CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE (Matt. 22:21; 1 Pet. 2:13-17).
A. OUR LIVES, OUR FORTUNES, AND OUR SACRED HONOR.
B. "IS LIFE SO DEAR OR PEACE SO SWEET AS TO BE PURCHASED AT THE
PRICE OF CHAINS AND SLAVERY? I KNOW NO WHAT COURSE OTHERS
MAY PURSUE, BUT AS FOR ME, GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME
DEATH." - Patrick Henry
C. THERE IS A COST FOR US AS WELL (Acts 14:21-22).
1. This is a serious undertaking (Luke 14:25-30; Matt. 10:37).
2. What does it take to overcome? (Rev. 12:11).
3. A sacrifice of self (Rom. 12:1; Luke 9:23; Gal. 2:20).
4. The key to any proper service (2 Cor. 8:5).
A. PENTECOST - THE DAY OUR NATION BEGAIN (Acts 2:1).
B. WHAT MADE THAT DAY POSSIBLE? (Acts 20:28).
C. HOW DO WE REMEMBER IT?
1. What do we do? (1 Cor. 11:23-29).
2. When do we do it? (Acts 20:7).
A. OUR FREEDOM WAS WORTH A LOT TO JESUS (1 Pet 1:18-19; Gal. 5:1).
B. HOW MUCH IS IT WORTH TO US?