A. WHAT RESPONSE DOES GRACE DEMAND? IS FAITH AND LOVE ALL?
B. WHAT ABOUT BAPTISM? IS IT NECESSARY TO BE SAVED?
C. WE WILL LET THE BIBLE SPEAK FOR ITSELF.
A. JESUS MENTIONS BAPTISM( Matt. 28:19; Mark 16:15-16 ).
B. BAPTISM IS INVOLVED IN BECOMING A DISCIPLE AND SALVATION.
C. WHAT DID THEY PREACH UNDER THE COMMISSION ABOUT BAPTISM?
A. THE PREACHING OF PETER:
1. Acts 2:38, Peter commanded baptism "for the remission of sins."
a. Does "for" mean "in order to" or "because of"?
- eis (ice); to or into (indicating the point reached or entered), of place,
time, or (figuratively) purpose (result, etc.). Strong.
b. Note that we find the same grammatical construction in Matt. 26:28.
c. In order to provide remission, not because remission already occurred.
d. In Acts 2:38 baptism joined by the conjunction "and" to "repent."
Both are commanded "for the remission of sins."
2. In Acts 10:44-48, Peter clearly commanded baptism (in water).
B. THE PREACHING OF PHILIP( Acts 8:5, 12; 8:35-38 ).
1. In both cases, Philip "preached Christ."
2. "Yet baptism was an immediate result.
C. THE PREACHING OF PAUL.
1. The conversion of Lydia( Acts 16:13-15 )
a. Lydia gave heed to the things spoken by Paul, by being baptized!
b. Acts 16:15. How could Paul have judged her to be faithful to the Lord?
c. By her response to the command of the Lord concerning baptism!
2. The conversion of the Philippian jailor( Acts 16:29-33 ).
a. Paul told him he must believe on Jesus then spoke the word of the Lord.
b. In response to the word, they were immediately baptized!( vs. 33 ).
3. Paul's account of his own conversion( Acts 22:10-16 ).
a. He was told to go to Damascus to learn what he must do.
b. He was told was to be baptized without delay( vs. 22:16 ).
c. He saw the Lord and spent 3 days fasting and praying( vs. 9-11 ).
BUT HE WAS STILL IN HIS SINS!
d. Clearly Paul believed that baptism had a connection with his salvation!
4. The conversions of Acts show the connection between baptism and salvation.
Matt. 28:18-19 EXAMPLES OF CONVERSION Mark 16:15-16
A. PENTECOST Acts 2:14-41
B. SAMARIA 8:5-13
C. EUNUCH 8:35-39
D. SAUL 9:1-9 - 22:16
E. CORNELIUS 10:34-46
F. JAILOR 16:25-34
G. LYDIA 16:11-15
H. CORINTH 18:8
PREACHING + FAITH + REPENTANCE + CONFESSION + BAPTISM = SALVATION
( Rom. 10:14; Luke 13:3; Rom. 10:9-10; Gal. 3:27; 2 Tim. 2:10 ).
5. In all cases, baptism precedes salvation( Mark 16:16 ).
6. In all cases, baptism is involved in becoming a true disciple( Matt. 28:19 ).
A. IN THE EPISTLES OF PAUL:
1. In Rom. 6:3-8, we learn that baptism:
a. Is a baptism and burial into the death of Christ ( 3-4 ).
c. That we might be raised to walk in newness of life ( 4-5 ).
e. Crucifies the old man, that the body of sin may be done away ( 6 ).
f. Frees us from sin ( 6-7 ).
g. Assures our living with Him ( 8 ).
h. Paul's remarks were to "as many as were baptized into Christ Jesus."
2. From Gal. 3:26-27 we learn that baptism is:
a. Involved in the process of becoming sons of God by faith
b. The means by which we "put on Christ" (and so become sons of God).
c. Note again: "For as many of you as were baptized into Christ."
3. In Col. 2:11-13 Paul taught that baptism is:
a. A "spiritual circumcision" in which sins are "cut away"
b. A burial with Christ, and also a resurrection with Him
c. Made effective "through faith in the working of God"
d. Where God makes us "alive together with Him, having forgiven you."
4. If Baptism accomplishes all this, how can one say it is not essential?
B. PETER COMPARES OUR SALVATION WITH NOAH'S( 1 Pet. 3:20-21 ).
1. Noah was saved by Grace ( Gen. 6:8 ), Faith ( Heb. 11:7 ), Water.
2. Likewise, our salvation involves grace, faith ( Eph. 2:8 ), and water!
a. NOT that there is any cleansing power in the water!
b. For only the blood of Jesus can redeem us from sin( Eph. 1:7 ).
c. God chose baptism as the point which He applies the blood.
A. IS BAPTISM ESSENTIAL TO SALVATION? WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY?
B. WE CANNOT EXPLAIN AWAY GOD'S PLAIN COMMAND.
C. ALL THE BLESSINGS OF HEAVEN ARE ONLY FOR THOSE WHO HAVE OBEYED.
D. WHAT IF ONE DECIDES NOT TO OBEY?( Acts 13:46; 2 Thess. 1:9 ).
E. Acts 22:16.