Jesus and the Scriptures
TEXT: John 5:39
A. THE BIBLE CANT BE IGNORED.
1. Claims to be inspired ( 2 Tim. 3:16-17 ).
2. Held to be inspired by so much of the world. Has shaped cultures and nations.
B. MODERNISTS ATTACK THE CLAIMS OF THE BIBLE THEY MOCK.
1. While they may accept the person of Jesus, and even call themselves Christians.
2. They reject the Bible as primitive, cruel, immoral, contradictory and full of lies.
C. HOW DID THE JESUS THEY ACCEPT VIEW THE BIBLE? When we understand his use and opinion of the scripture, we can learn and appreciate the Bible all the more.
A. THE BIBLE CLAIMS TO BE FROM GOD ( 2 Pet. 1:20-21 ). MEN DISPUTE THIS.
B. WHAT DID JESUS SAY ABOUT THE BIBLE?
1. "Man shall not live by bread alone" (Matt. 4:4; Deut. 8:3).
a. Jesus quoted from the scriptures.
b. The scriptures are from God and are life ( John 5:39-40; 6:63, 66-68 ).
2. "Think not that I am come to destroy the law " (Matt. 5:17-18).
a. The "yod" is the smallest letter in the Hebrew alphabet .
b. The "tittle" is an accent mark like an accent mark.
c. Jesus considered the scriptures inspired even the smallest "jot" and the "tittle."
3. "I am the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob" (Matt. 22:23-32; Ex. 3:6).
4. Jesus quoted what God said years after the death of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.
b. Yet, the scriptures said, "I am," not "I was their God."
c. Jesus taught that even the tense in the scriptures is from God.
A. TOO MANY WANT THEIR BIBLE "CAFETERIA STYLE."
1. At a cafeteria one picks only what they want to eat and reject the rest..
2. Mrs. Parsons and Gal. 5:4.
3. Denominational preacher and Acts 2:38.
B. MANY CLAIM TO ACCEPT JESUS, BUT REJECT THE BIBLE.
1. Some claim the OT is filled with myths and legends.
2. What did Jesus say about the Genesis account of Creation? ( Matt. 19:4-6 ).
a. Jesus quoted from the second chapter of Genesis with approval.
b. "Have you not read?" Jesus taught Genesis was the truth.
3. Jesus also referred to the account of Abel ( Matt. 23:35 ).
4. What about the Bible's account of the Flood in the days of Noah? ( Matt. 24:36-39 ).
5. What about Moses? Many liberal critics claim that Moses did not really exist. They say his books were the fictions of priestly writers years after the events.
a. Jesus asked, "Did not Moses give you the law?" ( John. 7:19 ).
b. "For if you believed Moses, , for he wrote of me" ( John. 5:46 ).
6. What about Jonah?
a. "You don't really believe that Jonah was swallowed by a fish, do you?"
b. What did Jesus say about Jonah? ( Matt. 12:38-41 ).
1) Jesus called Jonah a "prophet."
2) Jesus used the event as a sign of the resurrection.
7. What about Daniel, one of the most debated and attacked books of the Bible?
a. Jesus called Daniel a "prophet."
b. Jesus quoted from what Daniel had written(Matt. 24:15).
8. He referred to almost every period of history recorded in the Old Testament.
C. JESUS ACCEPTED ALL OF THE BIBLE, NOT JUST PART.
1. If one accepts Christ, then they must accept all of the Bible.
2. Jesus said the OT Scriptures were all fulfilled in him(Luke 24:25-27, 44-46).
A. THE BIBLE CANNOT BE MERE HISTORY OR A GOOD STORY.
1. The Bible claims to be the sole authority in our lives (Psa. 119:9-16; 2 Thes. 2:15 ).
2. Men who mock the Bible do so to justify their refusal of its standard.
B. WHAT DID JESUS TEACH ABOUT THE AUTHORITY OF THE BIBLE?
1. The question of the Sabbath (Matt. 12:1-7).
2. The question on Divorce (Matt. 19:1-5). Jesus asked, "Have you not read . . .?"
3. The question of Eternal Life (Luke. 10:25-28). "What is written in the Law?"
4. The question of the Resurrection (Matt. 22:23-33).
5. Jesus did not appeal to public opinion or emotions, but to what the word said.
C. JESUS TAUGHT THE AUTHORITY OF THE BIBLE IS ABIDING( Matt. 24:35; 1 John 2:17 ).
A. JESUS TAUGHT RELIANCE ON THE WORD DURING TEMPTATION
1. Jesus was tempted of the Devil ( Heb. 4:15 ).
2. How did Jesus answer temptation? ( Matt. 4:1-10 ). "It is written "
3. Eph. 6:16; 1 Pet. 1:5 è Rom. 10:17.
B. AND DURING TIMES OF SUFFERING.
1. Jesus suffered he felt pain, both physical and emotional ( Heb. 5:7-8).
2. Jesus knew what was in store for him ( John 3:14-15; 12:32-33; Luke 24:46 ).
3. He is our comfort ( Heb. 2:18 ).
4. There is comfort in the Scriptures for us ( James 5:10-11; Rom. 15:4 ).
A. JESUS ASSURES US THAT THE WORD WILL BE OUR STANDARD IN JUDGMENT (John. 12:44-50).
B. THE LORD SEES AND THE WORD JUDGES ALL ( Ecc. 12:13-14; Heb. 4:13-14 ).
C. HOW CAN WE KNOW THAT WE ARE PLEASING GOD ( 2 Tim. 3:16-17 ).
A. JESUS HELD THE SCRIPTURES UP.
B. TO REJECT WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS IS TO REJECT HIM ( Luke 10:16 ).
Thanks to W. Greeson