A. HEBREWS PRESENTS THE OT LAW AS A TYPE OF THE NEW.
B. NEED FOR THE BOOK:
1. Jews were "backsliding" because of tradition.
2. And because of persecution.
C. ENCOURAGEMENT TO JEWISH CHRISTIANS BY PRESENTING JESUS AS
PROPHET, PRIEST AND KING.
1. "God...hath spoken unto us by his son." PROPHET.
2. "When he hath made purification for sin." PRIEST.
3. "Sat down on the right hand of the Majesty." KING.
A. "PROPHET," prophete, "SPEAK FORTH." ONE WHO SPEAKS FOR
1. Deut. 18:15-19. Moses defines prophet as "mouthpiece."
2. Jesus is God's mouthpiece( Acts 3:22 ).
B. BEFORE JESUS, GOD SPOKE TO MAN THIS WAY( Heb. 1:1 ).
1. "by divers portions," different bits to different men.
2. "in divers manners,"( 1 Pet. 1:10-11 )gives the result.
C. BUT "AT THE END OF THESE DAYS...IN HIS SON."
1. Jesus came not with his own message( John 12:49 ).
2. He also speaks thru agency( John 16:12-13; Eph. 3:3-5 )
A. PROPHETS SPEAK TO THE PEOPLE FOR GOD - PRIEST TO GOD FOR US.
B. Heb. 3:1. HE IS THE APOSTLE & HIGH PRIEST OF OUR CONFESSION
C. A PERFECT HIGH PRIEST UNDERSTANDING GOD & MAN( 4:14-16 ).
D. Heb. 7:25. STILL INTERCEDING.
E. 7:26-28. PERFECT - NO NEED TO CLEANSE HIMSELF.
F. 9:11-12; 10:10-12, 19-22. A ONCE FOR ALL CLEANSING FOR US.
A. WHEN DID JESUS BECOME OUR KING?( Heb. 1:3 ).
1. "Whom he appointed heir of all things." What did he inherit?
a. Mat.28:18. Authority: God's people for his own(Eph.1:11).
b. Eph.1:18-23. This happened at Resurrection( Rom. 1:4 ).
c. God gave all things to Jesus, hence( Eph. 1:3 ).
2. "thru whom he made the worlds"( Col.1:16-17; John 1:1-3 ).
3. "the effulgence of his glory, image of his substance"( John 1:14; Col. 2:9 ).
B. WHAT'S THE MEANING OF ALL THIS?( Mat. 28:18; Col. 3:17 ).
A. IF JESUS WOULD BE YOUR PRIEST HE WILL BE YOUR PROPHET & KING.
B. WILL YOU LISTEN & OBEY?