A. THIS IS THE FIRST SONG THAT MANY CHILDREN LEARN AND LOVE.
B. THE TRUTH IN THIS SONG IS FOR THE ADULT AS WELL.
1. Matt. 18:2-4. The humility of the child is required.
2. There is no greater love than shown in the gift that makes us his children
(John 15:13; 1 John 3:1).
3. How doe we know that Jesus loves us? How do we know anything about him?
The Bible Tells Me So!
C. LET’S LOOK AT THE BACKGROUND FOR THIS SONG THEN VERSE BY VERSE.
Information on lyricist Anna Bartlett Warner provided by Wayne Walker and available upon request.
Jesus loves me! This I know, For the Bible tells me so;
Little ones to him belong; They are weak but he is strong.
A. JESUS CLAIMED TO LOVE US (John 13:34; 15:9, 12-13; Eph. 3:17-19).
B. WE MAY HAVE FULL CONFIDENCE AS PAUL DID (2 Tim. 1:12). This I know!
C. JESUS CLAIMS US, AND IS WITH US.
1. He calls us his brethren (Heb. 2:11).
2. His promise to the 12 is his promise to all who believe (Matt. 28:20; Phil. 4:4-5).
D. I AM WEAK BUT HE IS STRONG.
1. Rely on the strength we have by faith in Jesus (Eph. 6:10-13).
2. Paul was delivered (2 Tim. 4:16-18).
3. SUCCESS! (Rom. 8:35-37).
Jesus loves me! He who died, Heaven’s gate to open wide;
He will wash away my sin, Let His little child come in.
A. “GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN…” (John 10:15; 15:13).
B. WHAT DID HE ACCOMPLISH IN HIS DEATH?
1. Our sins are removed, washed away (Heb. 9:28; 1 John 3:5).
2. He bore our punishment (1 Pet. 2:24; Isa. 53:4-6).
3. Romans 6:23. The wages of sin is death, but … (2 Cor. 5:14).
4. Heaven’s gate he opened wide (1 Pet. 3:18; John 14:1-3).
5. “Let his little child come in” (Matt. 5:3; Matt. 18:3-4).
Jesus, take this heart of mine, Make it pure and wholly Thine;
Thou hast bled and died for me; I will henceforth live for thee.
A. WE ARE DEBTORS (Rom. 1:14-15; 2:4).
B. “FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST CONTRAINETH US …” (2 Cor. 4:14-15).
C. IT IS MORE THAN FAIR (Rom. 12:1; Gal. 2:20)
D. PURE LIVES (1 Pet. 4:1-2).
E. PURE HEARTS (1 Tim. 1:5; 2 Tim. 2:22; 2 Cor. 7:1).
F. BELONGING TO JESUS (1 Cor. 6:19-20; Matt. 19:27).
A. CHILDREN NEED TO KNOW HOW MUCH JESUS LOVES THEM.
B. WE NEED TO KNOW IT, TOO, AND LOVE HIM AS HE HAS LOVED US.