Jesus, The Way To Forgiveness
A. WE HAVE SEEN THAT JESUS IS THE WAY TO A BETTER LIFE.
B. JESUS IS THE WAY TO FORGIVENESS OF SINS.
C. IT IS IMPORTANT TO KNOW WHY AND HOW JESUS IS THE WAY TO
A. MANY HAVE THE WRONG IDEA ABOUT SIN.
1. They think is sinful ONLY if it is frowned upon by society, violates their own
conscience, or is harmful to someone else.
2. Such an idea causes a misconception of how sin can be corrected.
3. For example, some believe that correcting sin involves nothing more than
making things right with other people. With this misconception, they think
they are forgiven of all past actions if they simply change their behavior.
B. THE BIBLE ACTUALLY DEFINES THREE TYPES OF SIN.
1. First, there is the direct violation of God's Law( 1 John 3:4 ).
2. Another kind of sin is found in James' epistle( James 4:17 ).
3. The apostle Paul mentions yet another kind of sin( Rom. 14:23 ).
C. SIN IS A SERIOUS MATTER THAT INVOLVES GOD AND HIS WILL. HOW
SERIOUS IS SIN?( Rom. 6:23; Rev. 21:8 ).
A. GOD'S NATURE IS SUCH THAT THE SINNER CAN'T BE ACCEPTABLE.
1. God is holy( Psa. 5:4-5 ).
a. Makes any "truce" with sin impossible.
b. Sin therefore serves to separate man from God( Isa. 59:2 )
2. God is supremely just( Deut. 32:4; Job 4:17; Psa. 89:14 ).
a. God's justice illustrated in punishing Aaron's sons( Lev. 10:1-3 ).
b. And Moses himself( Num. 20:12 ).
3. Knowing the penalty for sin is Hell, two things are brought to mind:
How HOLY God must be!
How TERRIBLE sin must be!
B. CAN YOU SEE THE PREDICAMENT ALL MEN ARE IN?( Rom. 3:23 ).
1. The nature of God demands separation from God and punishment!
2. No works can undo sin or satisfy justice( Eph. 2:8-9 ).
3. All sin contrasts so deeply with God's holiness and justice that punishment is
demanded( Rev. 21:8 ).
4. One sin is as bad as another( James 2:10 ).
5. Is there any way man can be justified from his sin that is just? Yes, there is,
and Jesus is THE WAY!
A. GOD OFFERS JESUS A "PROPITIATION"( 1 John 4:10 ).
1. What man cannot do for himself, God has done!
2. He offered Jesus on the cross to satisfy Justice.
3. Such was foretold by Isaiah nearly 700 years earlier(Isa. 53:5-6, 10-11)
4. Jesus suffered punishment of sins for our forgiveness( 1 Pet. 2:24; Eph. 1:7 )
B. Rom. 3:23-26. 3 THINGS ACCOMPLISHED IN CHRIST'S DEATH.
1. God's holiness is preserved when we are in His presence.
2. God's justice is demonstrated while we are forgiven.
3. God's love for us is commended( Rom. 5:8 ).
C. AND SO, JESUS IS THE WAY TO FORGIVENESS.
A. IN ACTS THE APOSTLES CARRIED OUR THE GREAT COMMISSION
( Mark 16:15-16 ).
1. The point of Peter's first sermon( Acts 2:36 ).
2. The reaction of those who believed( vs. 37 ).
3. What Peter told them applies to anyone today( vs. 38 ).
4. Paul was told the same thing( Acts 22:16 ).
B. WHEN PEOPLE BELIEVED THE WORD WHAT DID THEY DO?( Acts 2:41 ).
C. RECEIVE JESUS IN BAPTISM? YES( Gal. 3:27 ).
A. JESUS IS THE ONLY WAY TO FORGIVENESS!( John 14:6 ).
B. NO OTHER WAY RECONCILES GOD'S HOLY JUSTICE WITH HIS LOVE.