A. FLAGS HAVE MANY USES.
1. Identifies army, a rallying point.
2. This text is a call to open acknowledgment on our part.
B. WE OFTEN FAIL TO UNFURL OUR BANNER.
A. OUR BANNER IS CHRIST ( Heb. 12:1-2 ).
1. His death is our rallying point ( 1 Cor. 1:23; 2:2 ).
2. We are to lift him up that all may be drawn to him.
B. IN OUR FAITH JESUS CHRIST IS:
1. The chief object of the enemies attack.
2. The symbol of defiance.
a. Jesus is defied by the devil ( 1 Cor. 1:18 ).
b. But Jesus is the victor ( 1 Cor. 15:55-57 ).
3. The emblem of victory ( vs. 57; 2 Cor. 2:14; Rom. 8:37 ).
A. JESUS WAS SENT BY GOD ( 1 John 4:9-10 ).
B. HE SENT HIS SON TO DIE ON THE CROSS FOR US
( Acts 2:22-24; 1 Pet. 1:18-20; Eph. 3:11 ).
C. THE SACRIFICE OF GOD SHOWS GOODNESS THAT COMPELS ( Rom. 2:4 ).
A. FEAR IS COUPLED WITH OBEDIENCE.
B. WHY FEAR GOD?
1. He is a consuming fire ( Heb. 12:28-29 ).
2. He is our judge ( Heb. 10:30-31; Matt. 10:28; 1 Pet. 1:17 ).
A. WHOSE RESPONSIBILITY IS IT TO PREACH THE WORD, LIFT THE BANNER?
B. HOW DO WE LIFT IT UP?
1. By word of mouth ( Acts 5:42; 8:4; Mark 16:20; Col. 1:6 ).
a. This is Gods plan ( 1 Cor. 1:21 ).
b. How else can sinners become believers ( Rom. 10:13-15 ).
c. We must be ready to give an answer ( 1 Pet. 3:15 ).
2. By manner of life ( 1 Pet. 2:11-12 ).
a. Something ought to be seen in our lives that is not seen in others ( 1 Pet. 2:9 ).
b. What does Jesus say if that something is not there ( Matt. 5:13 ).
c. Our manner of life ought to motivate others to obey ( Matt. 5:16 ).
A. OTHERS WILL BE ENCOURAGED, PERHAPS EVEN SAVED
( Rom. 10:17; James 5:19-20 ).
B. GOD WILL BE MAGNIFIED ( Matt. 5:16 ).
C. WE WILL HAVE OUR REWARD ( 1 Cor. 15:58; Gal. 6:9 ).
A. IS JESUS THE BANNER UNDER WHICH YOU FIGHT?
B. JESUS LEFT US AN EXAMPLE IN HIS DEATH ( Phil. 2:5-8 ).
C. HAVE YOU HUMBLED YOURSELF? WILL YOU OBEY? ( Heb. 5:8-9 ).
D. WILL YOU LIFT HIGH HIS BANNER?