A. THE TEXT MENTIONS A COMMON FAULT.
B. SEVERAL FORMS OF SUCH IN THE BIBLE.
1. Rom. 1:30. Whisperers, backbiters (Phil. 2:14-15).
2. 1 Tim. 5:13. Tattlers.
3. 2 Thess 3:11. Busybodies.
C. WE NEED TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THESE SINS.
A. OLD AND NEW TESTAMENT (Lev. 19:16; Rom. 1:28-30; 2 Cor. 12:20).
B. THE EFFECTS OF THESE SINS:
1. Separates chief friends (Prov. 16:27-28; 17:9; 18:6-8).
2. Stirs up anger (Prov. 25:23; 26:18-19). ‘tain’t funny, McGee.”
3. Causes others to hate him (Prov. 20:19).
4. The malicious spirit of the talebearer (Prov. 26:20-28).
5. God’s anger (Prov. 6:16-19).
C. THINK ON THESE THINGS:
1. Who wants to confide in one who may tell all.
2. You cannot build up yourself by tearing others down.
3. It doesn’t have to be untrue to be sin … just not our business.
D. QUOTE OF THE DAY: “Half the lies they tell about me are not true!”
A. PAUL DEALS WITH THOSE WHO DON’T MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS.
1. 2 Thess 3:11. Busybodies. They are always snooping, demanding conformity.
They think they have a better way.
2. Often the result of boredom, more often of pride (Luke 18:9;
3. Trend followers, typical of many today who think they are trend setter (Acts 17:21).
a. Nothing else to do but to tell you.(1 Tim. 5:13).
b. WORTHLESS (Psa. 123:4; 2 Tim. 2:16).
c. In faith a tragic condition (Eph. 4:14; Gal. 1:6-7; 3:1; 2 Cor. 11:3-4).
4. NOT NECESSARILY LIMITED TO FAITH MATTERS!
B. MAN’S OBJECTION: BUT WE ARE TO TAKE HEED.
1. The Bible teaches that (Gal. 6:1; Heb. 3:12-13).
2. There is a difference in “Taking Heed” and spying.
3. There is a difference in teaching and seeking to micromanage others.
4. There is a difference in meddling and intervening in regard to sin, and the wise and
godly man knows and can see it.
C. PAUL’S SOLUTION (2 Thess. 3:11-12; 1 Thess 4:9-12).
1. Study to be quiet; work with their hands, eat their own bread.”
2. The key è 1 Thess. 4:9-10. Love of the brethren.
A. WE MUST LEARN TO CONTROL OUR TONGUES (James 3:2, 6).
B. WE WILL BE JUDGED BY OUR SPEECH (Matt. 12:36-37; Eph. 4:29).
C. LOVE YOUR BROTHER ENOUGH TO BE HELPFUL, AND NOT MEDDLE.