I AM A NEW CREATURE
A. NOW THAT I AM A CHRISTIAN, I AM NOT THE SAME PERSON THAT I WAS
BEFORE. I DON'T THINK OR ACT THE WAY I USED TO. IF I DO THEN I AM
NOT A TRUE DISCIPLE OF CHRIST( John 8:31 ).
1. 2 Cor. 5:17. Christians are "New Creatures."
2. 1 Pet. 4:1-2. Christians realizes the futility of pursuing the lusts of men and
materialism, and desires to conform self to the will of God.
3. Acts 2:40. If my desire still is to be like those around me, I don't possess an
understanding of what it means to be a Christian.
B. THE BLESSING OF BEING A CHRISTIAN IS ACCOMPANIED BY SOME
C. WE NEED TO KNOW WHO WE ARE! I CAN COME TO A BETTER
UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT A CHRISTIAN IS, I CAN THEN KNOW WHAT KIND
OF BEHAVIOR IS EXPECTED OF ME IN VARIOUS SITUATIONS OF LIFE.
1. If any man is in Christ, what is he?
2. What has happened to the "old things?"
3. "Therefore, since Christ suffered for us in the flesh, arm yourselves also with the same mind,
for he who has suffered in the flesh has , that he no longer should
live the rest of his time in the flesh for ,
4. Who are truly disciples of Christ?
A. NEGATIVELY: WHAT A CHRISTIAN IS NOT.
1. Not just a "church-goer."
2. Not just someone I have loved who is now dead. Sometimes loved ones who have
"passed on" are designated "Christian" out of respect. I must learn that a
is more than just being loved after I have died.
3. Not just a "good moral man"( Acts 10:1-2; 23:1 ). I have heard the statement: "but
I have never hurt anybody."
B. POSITIVELY: CHRISTIANS ARE...
1. Disciples( Mat. 11:29; John 8:31 ). Denotes teacher/learner relationship.
2. Believers( Phil. 3:3; John 20:30-31 ).
3. Saints( Rom. 1;7; 12:2; 2 Cor. 6:14-7:1; 1 Pet. 1:2 ).
4. Brethren( 1 John 3:1-3; 1 Pet. 3:8 ).
5. Priests( 1 Pet. 2:5,9; Rom. 12:1 ).
1. Name some things that a Christian is not.
2. Was Cornelius a good moral man before he became a Christian?
3. Was he saved from his sins before he became a Christian?
4. Name five things that Christians are.
A. I MUST FIRST BECOME DISSATISFIED WITH MY OLD WAY OF LIVING.
1. Mat. 11:28-30...only the heavy laden will be interested in a new life.
2. Mat. 5:4...only those that mourn their sin will search for comfort.
3. Mat. 16:26...must see the utter futility of having no greater ambition than self
gratification( 1 Pet. 4:2 ).
1. Who does Jesus call to him?
2. What does he offer them?]
3. What does it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul?
B. I MUST REALIZE THAT I ACT THE WAY I THINK( Mat. 12:33-35 ).
1. If I am to change the way I live I must first change the way I think, what I like and
dislike( Rom. 12:9 ).
2. Without any inner change, an outer change is hypocrisy( Eph. 4:20-24 ).
C. ANY ATTEMPT TO CONFORM TO THE LORD'S WILL WITHOUT ANY REAL
CHANGE WITHIN WILL RESULT IN FRUSTRATION. THE MIND MUST BE
RENEWED( James 1:5-8 ).
D. MANY OF THE THINGS WHICH I NEVER BEFORE SAW THE HARM OF MUST BE
PUT AWAY. IF I INSIST ON LIVING THE SAME, WHY BE A CHRISTIAN?
E. KNOWLEDGE IS NECESSARY TO SUCCEED( Phil. 1:9-10 ).
1. In order to change the way I act, I must first do what?
2. "Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of
the the .
3. What is necessary to succeed?
A. I MUST SIMPLY UNDERSTAND THAT BECOMING A CHRISTIAN INVOLVES
1. A change of affection.
2. An alteration of thinking.
3. A transformation of life.
B. I CANNOT THINK OF MYSELF AS A CHRISTIAN AND LIVE AS I DID BEFORE.