MY RESPONSIBILITY TO THE
A. THERE IS AN ERRONEOUS ATTITUDE PRESENT IN THE MINDS OF MANY
BRETHREN REGARDING THE RELATIONSHIP OF THE INDIVIDUAL MEMBER
TO THE LOCAL CONGREGATION.
1. "The only responsibility I have as a Christian is on an individual basis; I have no
obligation to the local congregation."
2. This attitude divests the individual of all responsibility to his brethren. Prone to "let
the church" decide and carry all of the work that is to be done instead of participating
B. IN THIS LESSON WE WILL SEE THAT BECAUSE THE CONGREGATION IS
COMPRISED OF BRETHREN, AND BECAUSE I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR THE
WELFARE OF MY BRETHREN, I HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY TO THE LOCAL
A. PAUL SERVES AS OUR PATTERN( Acts 9:26 ).
B. NO "MEMBERSHIP AT LARGE." "I go here but my membership is in Texas."
C. THERE IS BENEFIT TO JOINING MYSELF TO OTHER CHRISTIANS.
D. WITHOUT PEOPLE WHO CAN BE COUNTED ON, THERE IS ABSOLUTELY
NO WAY A CONGREGATION CAN OBLIGATE ITSELF IN ANY EFFORT
THAT REQUIRES WORK OR MONEY.
1. What is wrong with the attitude, "The only responsibility I have as a Christian is on
an individual basis?"
2. Congregations are comprised of what?
3. Who serves as a pattern in becoming a member of a local church?
4. What is the point of living in Texas and being a member of a local congregation in
5. What does the congregation need in order to accomplish its work?
A. Every joint must supply( Eph. 4:16 ).
B. We must use our God-given abilities( Rom. 12:4-9 ).
C. Others need our help( Gal. 6:1-2 ).
D. More than man-power is needed( 1 Cor. 16:1-2 ).
1. "From whom the whole body, joined and knit together by what
, according to the effective working
by which every part , causes
growth of the body for the edifying of itself in love.
2. What is needed beyond my effort and time?
3. ye one another's , and so fulfil the law of Christ.
A. God's desire is for men to become spiritually mature to the
point that they can Oversee( 1 Tim. 3 ), shepherd( 1 Pet. 5:2 ),
and exhort( Titus 1:9 ).
B. Qualifications for elders ARE in the New Testament.
It is possible that a congregation may not have men who are qualified either physically or
spiritually. No congregation has any business appointing men who are not qualified. Any
church that has no elders ought to strive to develop men who are qualified beforehand. No
church is justified when it becomes satisfied without elders and makes no effort to develop
qualified men( Titus 1:5 ).
C. Heb. 13:17; 1 Thes. 5:12-13; 1 Tim. 5:17-20.
1. What three words summarize the duty of elders? ,
2. Should men who are not qualified be appointed as elders?
A. Eph. 4:1-6, "WALK Worthily of the gospeL"( Phil. 1:27 ).
B. We must speak only as God would have us( 1 Pet. 4:11 ).
C. We are to speak evil of no man( Titus 3:2 ).
D. We must be conscious of our influence( Rom. 14:21-23; 15:1-3 ).
E. We must seek to rectify wrongs against others( Mat 5:23-24 ).
F. Righteous speech produces harmony( Mat. 12:36-37; Eph. 4:29 ).
G. We must be truthful and control ourselves( Eph. 4:24-26;
James 1:19-20 ).
H. James 1:26-27.
1. Do I personally have a responsibility in maintaining the church's purity?
2. Are we limited in what we teach?( 1 Pet. 4:11 )
3. "To of no man, not to be contentious, to
be gentle, all toward all men.
4. Is it important what people think? Is my influence important?
A. If a Christian has no responsibility to a local church, how can he receive guidance
from elders?( Heb. 13:7; 1 Thes. 5:12-14 ).
B. If we have no responsibility to the local congregation, why are we commanded to
assemble together?( Heb. 10:24-25 ).
C. To what purpose would I lay by in store if there was no need for me in the local
church?( 1 Cor. 16:1-2 ).
D. How do I account for 1 Corinthians 12:14-26?
1. What is our attitude to be toward rulers in the church (elders)?
2. To what is the church compared, emphasizing the need to be a part of the local