A. MANY PASSAGES CHALLENGE US TO BE LIKE JESUS (1 Cor. 11:11; 1 Peter 2:21).
B. THERE ARE MANY AREAS IN WHICH WE NEED TO BE MORE LIKE HIM.
growth, strength, steadfastness, and trust.
C. THREE AREAS WILL HELP US TO FULFILL OUR MISSION OF SAVING SOULS.
A. WHY DID JESUS COME?
1. The condition of the world (Matt. 9:36; Phil. 2:15-16)
a. All are guilty (Rom. 3:23).
b. All are condemned lost (Rom. 6:23).
2. The purpose of Jesus coming (1 Tim. 1:15; Luke 19:10).
3. This he made possible by his death on the cross (Rom. 5:6-8; 3:23-26).
a. His death was a satisfaction of justice (Rom. 3:23-26).
b. He bore our stripes (1 Pet. 2:24).
B. SAVING SOULS MUST BE OUR DESIRE.
1. The world is still lost (Matt. 9:36). That means people, neighbors and loved-ones.
2. Eternal punishment Hell is a terrible reality (Matt. 25:41, 46).
a. Where the worm dies not (Mark 9:43-48).
b. Not talking about it doesnt change things.
3.Pauls attitude is our example ( Rom. 9:3; Rom. 10:1; 1 Cor. 9:22; 2 Cor. 12:15).
A. PEOPLE WERE AMAZED AT THE COMPASSION OF JESUS.
1. Seen in his healing (Matt. 14:14).
2. Over their situations (Mark 8:2-3).
3. Because of their spiritual condition (Matt. 9:36).
4. John 11:34-36 And He said, "Where have you laid him?" They said to Him, "Lord, come and see." _ Jesus wept. _ Then the Jews said, "See how He loved him!"
5. Salvation is about the salvation of others. (Heb. 4:16) Jesus truly cares.
B. OUR COMPASSION IS A PRODUCT OF OUR LOVE (1 Pet. 3:8).
1. We are to act on our love and compassion (1 John 3:16-18).
2. What is the most loving thing we can do? (Jas. 5:19; Jude 22-23).
A. JESUS MADE THE ULTIMATE SACRIFICE (2 Cor. 5:14-15).
1. He emptied himself (Phil. 2:5-8).
2. It was love that moved him to do that (Gal. 2:20).
3. It was his choice (John 10:17-18).
4. Love is the key (John 1513; Eph. 3:17-19).
B. THE LOVE OF CHRIST CONSTRAINS US (2 Cor. 5:14-15).
1. It takes a sacrifice of comfort, spare time, etc. to become a winner of lost souls. None of us will win a soul for Jesus if we would rather be at a ball game, concert, at the lake, on the golf course, or home relaxing watch television. It takes a sincere desire to sacrifice for the Master. Are we too busy? (2 Tim. 2:3-4).
2. The sacrifice of Peter and the apostles (Mark 10:28-31)
3. Our lives as Christians involve sacrifice for others (Luke 9:23).
A. WE OFTEN SAY WE NEED TO BE MORE CHRIST-LIKE.
B. BEING CHRIST-LIKE WILL EFFECT OUR EFFORTS TO SPREAD THE GOOD NEWS.
Grady Scott Jack Williams