Once Saved, Always Saved?
A. MANY PEOPLE BELIEVE ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED.
1. Texts used to teach once saved by God's grace one cannot sin so as to be lost.
2. Another expression "You can't fall from grace."
B. CAN A SAVED BELIEVER SIN SO AS TO BE LOST, FALL FROM GRACE?
C. THE BIBLE HAS THE ANSWER.
A. GRACE, charis, "good will, loving-kindness, favor" ( Thayer ).
1. In the context of the Scriptures, it is unmerited favor( Luke 17:10 ).
2. Doesn't mean there are no conditions( Heb. 5:8-9; 2 Thess. 1:1-9 ).
B. GOD'S PROVISIONS FOR REDEMPTION ARE PRODUCTS OF GRACE.
1. Justification is of grace( Rom. 3:24; 5:1-2 ).
2. Protection from sin( 1 Cor. 10:13 ).
3. Repeated forgiveness for Christians who sin( 1 John 2:1-2 ).
4. Grace teaches how to live so as to please God( Titus 2:11-12 ).
C. TO CONTINUE IN HIS GRACE WE MUST CONTINUE IN HIS WORD.
1. A condition of discipleship( John 8:31 ).
2. We must walk in the light( 1 John 1:6-7 ).
a. A warning to saved Christians!
b. If I stop walking in the light, I lose fellowship, even if I was once saved.
NOT "WILL HE?" OR "HOW MIGHT HE?"
A. THE EXAMPLE OF ISRAEL( 1 Cor. 10:1-12 ).
1. Israel chosen( Deut. 14:1 ) as is the church today( Gal. 6:16 ).
2. They were overthrown in the wilderness( 1 Cor. 10:5 ).
3. Why does Paul tell us of this?( vs. 6, 11-12 ). Only purpose, an Example!
B. WE CAN BE CUT OFF( Rom. 11:21-22; John 15:2,6 ).
C. Heb. 11:6. FAITH IS ESSENTIAL TO SALVATION( Mark 16:16 ).
1. See what can happen to Christian?( Heb. 3:12 ).
2. What can happen to faith?( 1 Tim. 1:19; 4:1; 6:10; 2 Tim. 2:18 ).
3. Here are some who had faith, acted on it desiring salvation. Now it is gone.
a. Who will argue they were lost in spite of obedient faith?
b. Or that when they lost their faith they did not lose their salvation. That
would mean they disbelieved( Mark 16:16 ).
D. 1 Cor. 9:27. POSSIBLE FOR PAUL TO BE REJECTED.
E. THE TRAGEDY OF FALLING FROM GRACE( 2 Pet. 2:20-22 ).
D. PAUL'S PLAIN STATEMENT( Gal. 5:4 ).
fall, ekpipto-metaphorically: a) to fall from a thing, to lose it b) to perish, to fall.
A. John 10:27-28. DOESN'T DEAL WITH SIN BUT ATTACKS BY OTHERS.
B. Rom. 8:1-4, 31-39. MUST WALK AFTER THE SPIRIT.
C. THE CROWN( 1 Tim. 4:6-8; Rev. 3:11 ) LOSE CROWN BUT BE SAVED?
D. 1 Pet. 1:5; John 5:24; Phil 1:6; Jude 24; 2 Tim. 4:18; 2 Tim. 1:12.
E. WHAT DOES HE GUARD AND HOW DOES HE DO IT?
( 1 Pet. 1:5: Eph. 6:16 ).
A. Acts 8:22. REPENT AND PRAY.
B. 1 John 1:6-10. COME OUT OF THE DARK AND CONFESS SINS.
C. WE ARE PROMISED FORGIVENESS( 1 John 2:1-2 ).
D. BUT WE MUST REPENT!
A. ARE YOU A CHRISTIAN?
B. FORGIVENESS IS FOR CHRISTIANS( Rom. 8:1 ).
C. HOW DOES ONE BECOME A CHRISTIAN( Matt. 28:19-20; Acts 2:38 ).