One Man's Influence
A. DO YOU FEEL OUTNUMBERED?
B. ONE MAN OR WOMAN CAN PROFOUNDLY EFFECT A WAYWARD NATION.
C. JOSIAH WAS SUCH A MAN.
A. MANASSEH'S INFLUENCE( 2 Chron. 33:2-9 ).
1. Baalim - Baal = "lord"; the supreme male divinity of the Phoenicians or Canaanites.
2. Asherim, groves(KJV) = sexually explicit idols of Canaanite fertility cult;
associated with Baal cult prostitutes (2 Kings 23:7) "groves (for idol
worship)" sacred trees (poles) set up near an altar; Canaanite goddess (of
fortune and happiness)the supposed consort of Baal.
3. Profaned the temple in mockery to Jehovah.
4. Human sacrifice and Hell( vs. 6 ).
5. "Abominations" ( vs. 2 ) - something disgusting (morally).
B. AMON'S INFLUENCE( 2 Chron. 33:21-24 ).
A. DOING GOD'S WILL( 2 Chron. 34:1-2 ).
B. POSSIBLE PARENTAL INFLUENCE OF HIS MOTHER.
1. Jedidah ( 2 Kings. 22:1 ) of Adaiah her father(pleasing to Jehovah).
2. Lois & Eunice so influenced Timothy( 2 Tim. 1:5 ).
C. THE HAND THE ROCKS THE CRADLE...( Titus 2:4-5; 1 Tim. 4:14 ).
1. Rule the house, oikodespoteo - to rule a household, manage family affairs.
2. In subjection( Eph. 5:23 ). He needs to let her have her domain.
A. SOUGHT GOD AT AN EARLY AGE - 16( vs. 3; Ecc. 11:9-12:1 ).
B. WAS FAITHFUL ALL HIS DAYS( vs. 2; Heb. 3:14; 10:23 ).
A. TORE DOWN THE IDOLS( vs. 3-7 ).
1. The Lord's work is not always easy or pleasant( Matt. 10:34-39 ).
2. Constant struggle and opposition( Luke 13:24; 1 Pet. 5:8 ).
3. But God is faithful( Gal. 6:7-9 ).
B. HE REFURBISHED THE TEMPLE( vs. 8-13 ).
1. There was a whole lot to do.
2. There is work for us, too( Matt. 9:36-38 ).
3. There is much work on the church that needs doing( Eph. 4:15-16 ).
C. John 9:4.
A. A STARTLING DISCOVERY( vs. 14 ).
1. Do not have to lose your copy to neglect it( Matt. 22:29 ).
2. The source of any spiritual awakening - imperishable word.
a. The truth is in God's word( Psa. 119:160; John 1:17 ).
b. True freedom is in the truth, the word of God( John 8:32 ).
c. Place a proper value on truth( Prov. 23:23 ).
3. We need to come back( Jer. 6:16; 1 Cor. 4:6 ).
B. A PENITENT RESPONSE( vs. 18-19 ).
1. Maybe king's responsibility( Deut. 17:18-20 ).
2. Godly sorrow important( Neh. 8:9; Psa. 51:16-17; 2 Cor. 7:10 ).
C. A DESIRE TO KNOW AND DO ALL GOD'S WILL( vs. 21-22 ).
D. HUMILITY ESSENTIAL( vs. 27; James 4:6-10 ).
A. CALLED THE LEADERS TO SHARE TRUTH WITH THEM( vs. 29-30 ).
B. HE RENEWED THE COVENANT WITH GOD( vs. 31-32 ).
1. His personal commitment to follow God & perform!( James 1:21 ).
2. We must let our light shine( Matt. 5:16 ).
D. BLESSED IN HIS EFFORTS( vs. 33; 1 Cor. 15:58 ).
A. ONE MAN MADE A DIFFERENCE.
B. YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.