Pray for Rulers
A. ALMOST 50 YEARS AGO, KENNEDY WHAT ASSASSINATED.
1. Events remind us of our duty toward Civil Authorities.
2. Paul gives 2 instructions in our text:
a. Prayer for ALL men, especially rulers.
b. Not for the dead, but for the living ... Obama, and his successor next year.
B. THERE IS NO WAY WISHING THE PRESIDENT ILL-WILL CAN BE EXCUSED.
1. Some opposed Kennedy's political policies. Harm is not the way to change policy.
2. Some were afraid of his religious connections ... and Obama's ... and Romney's.
3. Assassination is not the answer (Rom. 8:3; 2 Sam. 1:14-16).
4. You are blessed with a voice - use it.
A. ESTABLISHED BY GOD (Rom. 13:1).
B. HE RULES TODAY (Psa. 2:9; Rev. 19:15).
C. WHERE DOES THEIR POWER COME FROM? (John 19:11).
A. WE MUST PAY OUR TAXES (Matt. 22:17-22; Rom. 13:6-7).
1. Must not evade.
2. Not obligated to pay more than law demands.
B. MUST OBEY THE LAW (Rom. 13:1-5; 1 Pet. 2:13-15).
1. What about civil disobedience? Protesting?
2. There is an exception (Acts 4:18-20; 5:29).
C. MUST RESPECT THE OFFICE (1 Pet. 2:17; Acts 23:1-5).
D. PRAY FOR OUR RULERS (1 Tim. 2:1-3).
1. Why? (vs. 2). "that we may live a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness."
2. God desires their salvation (vs. 4; Matt. 10:18; Acts 9:15; 24:24-25; 26:27-29).
3. Because they are subject to the same God we are (vs. 5; Acts 10:34-36).
4. There is one mediator.
a. A new covenant (Heb. 8:6).
b. Our reconciliation (2 Cor. 5:18-19).
5. There is one ransom for all men (vs. 6; Heb. 2:9; 1 John 2:1-2; Acts 4:12).
A. DEATH WILL COME SOON ENOUGH (Heb. 9:27).
B. THEN IT WILL BE TOO LATE (2 Cor. 5:10).
C. USELESS TO PRAY FOR THE DEAD (1 John 5:16)