Prayer in Public Worship
A. PRAYER IS A GREAT SOURCE OF STRENGTH( 1 Thess. 5:17 ).
B. PUBLIC PRAYER, AN IMPORTANT PART OF WORSHIP.
C. 1 Tim. 2 IS CONCERNED WITH PUBLIC WORSHIP & PRAYER( vs. 1-8 ).
A. PRAYERS: proseuche, (pros-yoo-khay'); prayer.
1. General, always to God.
2. Term of reverence and devotion, emphasizing one's frame of mind.
B. SUPPLICATIONS: deesis (deh'-ay-sis); a petition; KJV-also prayer, request.
1. We are taught to ask God for blessings( Matt. 7:7-11 ).
2. Trusting God brings peace of mind( Phil. 4:6 )
3. But we must trust God( James 1:6-7 ).
C. INTERCESSIONS: enteuxis (ent'-yook-sis);; an interview, seeking the presence
and hearing of God on behalf of others. i. e. Gen. 18:23f.
1. Heb. 7:25; Rom 8:26-27. Jesus and the Holy Spirit make intercession.
2. Intercession should be a big part of prayer( Col. 1:9; Eph. 6:18-19 ).
D. THANKSGIVINGS: eucharistia (yoo-khar-is-tee'-ah); gratitude; actively, grateful
language (to God, as an act of worship).
1. All good things come from God( James 1:17 ).
2. We need to appreciated his blessings and show it( Eph. 5:20; Col. 3:15 ).
3. Nearly every mention of prayer( Phil. 4:6; Eph 5:4; Col 2:7; Col. 4:2 ).
A. GENERALLY, ALL MEN( Gal. 6:10 ).
1. One another( James 5:16; 3 John 2 ).
2. Preachers and teachers ( the work )( Col. 4:3 ).
3. The lost( Matt. 9:36-38; see 1 John 5:16 ).
4. Those less fortunate( Gal. 2:10 ).
5. Even our enemies( Matt. 5:44 ).
B. SPECIFICALLY: KING AND ALL THAT ARE IN HIGH PLACES.
1. Our attitude toward civil authorities( Rom. 13:1; 1 Pet. 2:13-17 ).
2. Two reasons for praying for our rulers:
a. A tranquil and quiet( undisturbed ) life( 1 Cor. 7:15b ).
b. God wants all to be saved, even evil rulers( 2 Pet.3:9; 1 Tim.2:3-4 ).
A. MEN OF THE CONGREGATION( vs. 8 ).
1. Men, aner (an'-ayr); a man (properly as an individual male). Not anthropos.
2. Women forbidden to speak in public worship( vs. 12; 1 Cor. 14:34 ).
3. Suggested reasons for the admonition:
a. Paul taught there was neither male nor female( Gal. 3:28 ).
b. Women had been prominent is serving Christ and the apostles.
B. THE MEN WHO LEAD PUBLIC PRAYERS MUST MEET 3 REQUIREMENTS.
1. Holy hands( 1 Pet. 3:12; James 4:8 ).
2. Without wrath( Eph. 4:31-32; James 1:19-20 ).
3. Without disputings( Matt. 5:21-24 ). dialogismos (dee-al-og-is-mos');
discussion, i.e. (internal) consideration (by implication, purpose), or (external)
A. PRACTICAL DIFFERENCES BETWEEN PUBLIC AND PRIVATE PRAYER.
1. Public prayers should be short, general, simple as to content.
2. They must be understandable and heard. Speak up! Come to the front.
3. Special prayers should stick their purpose.
B. ALL PRAYERS MUST BE SINCERE( Matt. 6:5 ).
A. THOSE IN CHRIST CAN PRAY( Heb. 10:19-21; Rom. 6:3 ).
B. ARE YOU IN CHRIST?