Saved by Grace
A. WE ARE SAVED BY GRACE. BUT WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
1. Grace – charis, “favor.”
2. The true meaning of grace cam be seen in the fact that salvation is not the only
gift from the Father ( James 1:17 ). Food, water, breath, etc.
3. Man can’t be passive toward grace.
a. He must eat his food, drink his water,
b. Likewise, benefit from spiritual grace depends on reaction ( 2 Cor. 6:1 ).
B. ALL GRACE FROM GOD IS UNDESERVED.
1. Nothing we do obligates God to provide material blessing.
2. Nothing we do obligates God to save us.
A. MAN’S SIN MERITS PUNISHMENT ( Rom. 6:23 ).
B. GOD SENT JESUS TO SATISFY JUSTICE ( Rom. 3:23-26 ).
C. IT WAS HIS LOVE, NOT OUR MERIT ( 1 John 4:9-10 ).
A. GOD REVEALS HIS LOVE AND PLAN THROUGH TEACHING ( 1 Cor. 1:21 ).
B. IT IS GRACE THAT DRAWS US TO JESUS. HOW? ( John 6:44-45 ).
C. GRACE REVEALS SALAVATION IN THE GOSPEL ( Rom. 1:16 ).
D. TEXT SAYS GRACE APPEARS TO ALL. HOW? ( Matt. 28:19-20; Mark 16:15 ).
1 Teaching and preaching is God’s method of revealing his grace.
2. To reject the gospel is to reject the grace of God.
A. ONE MUST BELIEVE GOD TO COME TO HIM ( Heb. 11:6 ).
B. MUST BELIEVE IN JESUS TO RECEIVE HIS GRACE ( John 6:39-40; 8:21-24 ).
C. WHERE DOES THIS FAITH COME FROM? ( Rom. 10:17; John 20:30-31; 6:45 ).
D. PAUL USED PERSUASION AND WAS PERSUADED
( Acts 17:2; 18:4; 2 Tim. 1:12 ).
E. GRACE SAVES WHEN ONE HEARS THE GOSPEL AND BELIEVES ( Heb. 4:2 ).
A. MAN’S ACTIVITY AFFIRMED IN THE PHRASE “THROUGH FAITH.”
FAITH IS MAN’S PART!
B. WHAT ABOUT THE EXPRESSION: “that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;
not of works that man should glory.”?
1. Though man must be active, his salvation comes neither through his own wisdom
( 1 Cor. 1:21 ), or his own merit ( Rom. 3:9-10 ).
2. Titus 3:4-5. Salvation comes by way of mercy, not merit ( Luke 17:10 ).
No room for boasting!
3. Are works necessary? In Ephesians 2, faith is a work. It is man’s part.
4. Some contend that faith is the gift, therefore God’s work in us.
( see John 6:28-29 ). Whose work is faith?
5. Reconciles with James 2:24.
C. SAVED BY GRACE THROUGH FAITH.
1. Our works do not merit salvation.
2. They are expressions of faith necessary to our salvation.
A. DOES BAPTISM STAND IN OPPOSITION TO SALVATION BY GRACE? NO!
B. CONSIDER THE QUESTION OF JESUS CONCERNING JOHN’S BAPTISM
( Matt. 21:25 ). FROM HEAVEN OR MEN?
1. Obviously from God ( John 1:33 ).
2. If true, those submitting to it were doing the works of God.
C. IS BAPTISM IN WATER FOR THE REMISSION OF SINS FROM HEAVEN?
1. Matt. 28:19; Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38; 1 Pet. 3:21.
2. If the Bible teaches the necessity of baptism, what man is able to boast that he
saved himself by being baptized?
If it is from heaven, what reasonable person would reject it?
A. GRACE TEACHES US HOW TO LIVE ( Titus 2:11-12; 2 Tim. 3:16-17 ).
B. WE MUST LIVE THAT WAY – IN THE LIGHT ( 1 John 1:6 ).
C. WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I SIN? MUST I DO SOMETHING? ( 1 John 1:7-9 ).
D. WHAT DID PETER TELL SIMON? ( Acts 8:20-23 ).
E. DOES DOING THOSE THINGS CANCEL OUT GRACE?