Seek Ye First
A. OUR PRIORITIES SEEN IN HOW WE LIVE.
B. TOO MANY OF US LIVE ONLY WITH AN EARTHLY VIEW AND GOALS.
1. The life of the Christian is unmarred by carnal attitudes and actions.
2. He reacts to misfortune, not with tragic despair, but with joy and hope.
C. IN OUR TEXT THE IDEA IS IMPLANTED IN THE DISCIPLES’ MINDS.
1. A Great Duty – “Seek ye first.”
2. A Great Promise – “All this things shall be added.”
A. THE OBJECT OF THE SEEKING:
1. “His kingdom.” What is this? Where do we look?
a. John 18:36. Not of this world. Won’t compete with Caesar.
b. Rom. 14:17. Doesn’t satisfy the flesh.
c. Luke 17:20-21. Not limited or defined by geography. Not begun by
observable battles. Bounded by the convictions of converted men.
2. “His righteousness.”
a. God’s righteousness, in contrast to man’s ( Rom. 10:1-3 ).
b. God’s plan for making us righteous ( Rom. 3:23-26 ).
c. In contrast to man’s plans ( Prov. 14:12 ).
B. THE ORDER OF SEEKING – FIRST!
1. All other goals & aspirations are subordinated to this.
2. We must not neglect temporal duties ( 1 Tim. 5:8; Rom. 13:1ff. ).
3. But the kingdom must come first. Why? Because of
a. possible conflict ( Matt. 10:34-37; 6:24 ).
b. its superior value ( Matt. 13:44-46 ).
c. its eternal duration ( Matt. 6:19-21 ).
d. it cannot wait ( James 4:13-17; 2 Cor. 6:2 ).
A. WHAT THINGS?
1. Physical necessities ( Matt. 6:25-32 ).
2. But you also get what you are seeking – “his kingdom and his righteousness”
( Matt. 7:7-8 ).
B. THE CERTAINTY OF GOD’S PROMISE ( 2 Tim. 2:11-12 ).
A. WHAT IS FIRST IN YOUR LIFE?
B. HIS KINGDOM AND RIGHTEOUSNESS?
C. THE KINGDOM IS FOUND IN OBEDIENCE ( Matt. 7:21 ).