Showing Forth His Excellencies
A. BOOK WRITTEN TO GIVE HOPE AND PREPARE FOR TIME OF TRIAL.
1. "Begotten again" - Babes who inherit.
2. Gird up the loins of your mind.
B. vs. 9. SPECIAL PEOPLE TO GOD.
1. Called out of darkness into the light.
2. That we might "show forth his excellencies." "Moral worth" (ATR).
C. WE SHOW GOD'S MORAL WORTH IN VARIOUS RELATIONSHIPS.
A. CHRISTIANS DESCRIBED AS SOJOURNERS AND PILGRIMS.
1. We may live here, but ... ( Rom. 12:2 ).
2. Musn't become too attached ( 1 John 2:15 ).
3. Fellow-citizens with the saints ( Eph. 2:19; Phil. 3:20 ).
B. AS CHRISTIANS WE MUST ABSTAIN FROM WORLDLY LUSTS.
1. Prime element in temptation ( James 1:14 ).
2. War now being waged ( Gal. 5:16-21 ).
C. WE'RE GOD'S AMBASSADORS. DO WE REFLECT HIS LIGHT?
( Matt.5:16 ).
A. SUBJECT TO EVERY ORDINANCE OF MAN. WHY?
1. For the Lord's sake ( Rom. 13:1-7 ).
a. God ordained and upholds government ( vs. 1 ).
b. To disobey is to disobey God ( vs. 2 ).
c. For conscience' sake( vs. 5 ).
2. Our subjection will put to silence those who would accuse us.
B. ANY EXCEPTIONS?( Acts 5:29 ). HOWEVER!( vs. 16 ).
A. INSTRUCTIONS TO THE SLAVE:
1. Obey even the cruel or crooked.
2. Glorify God.
3. Example of Jesus.
B. EMPLOYEES HAVE OPTIONS ... AND OBLIGATIONS( Col. 3:22-25 ).
A. MUST SUBJECT HERSELF EVEN TO UNBELIEVING ( vs. 1-2 ).
1. Object - Gain the husband.
2. True desire of the husband ( vs. 3-4 ).
3. The example of Sarah ( vs. 5-6 ).
4. Recognizes the possibility of abuse.
B. HUSBANDS - WHY EMPHASIS ON THE WIFE? ( vs. 7 ).
A. UNITY AND PEACE ( Eph. 4:1-3 ).
B. LOVE THE UNDERLYING FACTOR ( Phil. 2:1-4 ).
C. IMMITATORS OF JESUS ( Phil. 2:5-11 ).
A. OUR LIGHT, LIKE THE MOON'S, IS REFLECTED LIGHT.
B. OUR LIGHT MAY BE ECLIPSED.
C. ARE WE REFLECTING GOD'S GOODNESS?