A. EVERY SIN IS AGAINST GOD ( Psalm 51:3-4 ).
B. MAN SINS AGAINST CHRIST ( Mat. 12:32; Heb. 6:4-6 ).
C. WE MAY SIN AGAINST ONE ANOTHER ( 1 Cor. 8:12 ).
D. OUR TEXT SUGGESTS THAT WE MAY SIN AGAINST THE HOLY SPIRIT.
A. WE HAVE DISCUSSED THIS IN A PREVIOUS LESSON.
B. IDENTIFIED WITH Heb. 10:26 and 1 John 5:15-17.
C. AN UNREPENTANT HARD HEART THAT WILL NOT RESPOND TO GOD.
A. "...DONE DESPITE UNTO THE SPIRIT..." ( Heb. 10:21-29 ). Despite, enubrizo, "to treat
with contumely, to give insult to, here only in the N. T. It is a powerful word for insulting
the Holy Spirit after receiving his blessings"( A.T. Robertson ).
1. An awareness of the sacrifice of Jesus (Heb. 10:19-21).
2. A loose attitude toward service, not appreciating the blessing (vs. 22-25).
3. Sinning, knowing it is wrong (vs. 26-27).
4. Same attitude as setting aside the law (vs. 28-29).
a. “trodden under foot the Son of God..
b. “counted the blood …wherewith he was sanctified an unholy thing.”
B. TURNING FROM THE HOLY SPIRIT( Heb. 6:4-6 ).
A. ANANIAS AND SAPPHIRA ( Acts 5:1-11 ).
1. Satan had filled his heart ( vs. 3 ). Given to the wicked purpose of Satan..
It was Ananias' plan ( vs. 4 ).
2. Sin was not greed, but deception ( vs. 4 ).
3. The lie to man was tantamount to lying to the Holy Spirit who knows the
hearts of men( vs. 3-4 ).
4. An unintentional testing of the Spirit. "Can he know?
( vs. 9; Mat. 4:5-7; Psa. 95:7-11 ).
B. CAN WE BE GUILTY?
1. How does one defile the church?
a. Worldliness and sin (Heb. 12:14-15; 1 Cor. 5:6-8).
b. Murmuring (Phil. 2:14-15).
c. Ignorance and complacency (Heb. 6:11-12; Rev. 3:14-19)
2. The consequences are dire (1 Cor. 3:16-17)
B. OUR BODIES ( 1 Cor. 6:19-20 ).
1. How do we defile our bodies?
a. Using them to sin (1 Cor. 6:18).
b. Subjecting them to abusive addictions (1 Cor. 6:12).
c. Failing to recognize God’s ownership and purpose (vs. 19-20).
C. IN BOTH USES OUR BODIES AND THE CHURCH REPRESENT THE
PRESENCE OF GOD ON THE EARTH. BOTH ARE INSTRUMENTS AND
AGENTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT'S WORKING AMONG LOST MEN.
A. WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO QUENCH A FIRE?
B. PUT ANOTHER WAY ( Rev. 2:4; 3:15-22 ).
A. SEEN IN THE CONTEXT OF UNHOLY BEHAVIOR AND ACTS.
B. SEEN IN THE CONTEXT OF HIS LOVE FOR US AND EFFORTS FOR OUR
SALVATION( Rom. 8:14-17; 26-27 ).
A. IT IS THE DESIRE OF GOD, JESUS, AND THE HOLY SPIRIT THAT YOU BE
SAVED FROM YOUR SINS (1 Tim. 2:3-4; Matt. 11:28; Rev. 22:17 )
B. WON’T YOU ANSWER THEIR INVITATION?