Studying the Bible
A. BIBLE STUDY NEGLECTED BUT MOST IMPORTANT.
B. OUR TEXT REFLECTS THE RIGHT ATTITUDE.
A. BECAUSE IT POSSESSES THE POWER OF "SANCTIFICATION."
1. "Sanctification" means "to set apart" for God's purpose
2. The Word of God is the means by which God does this...
a. As praised by David in his psalm( Psa. 19:7-11 ).
b. As mentioned in the prayer of Jesus( John 17:17 ).
3. If we are going to be useful to God we need to study his word.
B. BECAUSE IT POSSESSES THE POWER OF "PRESERVATION."
1. A lack of knowledge destroys the people of God( Hos. 4:6 ).
2. But the YOUNG can keep their ways pure by the Word( Psa. 119:9 ).
3. ELDERS were exhorted to keep the church by the Word( Acts 20:28-32 ).
4. One of the first steps to backsliding is neglect of God's word!
C. BECAUSE IT HAS THE POWER OF "SALVATION" & "CONDEMNATION."
1. Received properly, it can save our souls!( James 1:21 ).
2. It will be the standard by which we will be judged( John 12:48 ).
3. Will the Word save us, or will it condemn us? Careful study and
application of the Bible will make the difference!
A. SOME PEOPLE JUST "TAKE THE PREACHER'S WORD."
1. For this reason, they do not study for themselves
2. Most preachers are good men, but they can still be wrong( Acts 18:24-26 ).
3. It is our responsibility to "test the spirits"( 1 John 4:1-2 ),
4. And to be able to identify "false apostles"( 2 Cor. 11:13-15 )
B. SOME PEOPLE SAY "THEY CAN'T GET ANYTHING OUT OF THE BIBLE."
1. May be because they read it so little, or they don't know how to study.
2. Most have simply made little effort to understand it
3. Paul said that we could understand it when we read it( Eph. 3:3-4 ).
C. SOME PEOPLE SAY "THEY DON'T HAVE THE TIME."
1. People who DO study are busy too.
2. We must put the things of the kingdom of God FIRST( Matt. 6:33 ).
D. THERE IS REALLY NO EXCUSE FOR NEGLECTING THE WORD.
A. THE "SUBJECT" METHOD
B. THE "BOOK" METHOD.
C. INFORMATION CAN BE SUPPLIED( Earl West, How To Study The Bible )
A. SET A REGULAR TIME.
B. PRAY AS YOU STUDY.
1. Begin your study with prayer( Psa. 119:18 )
2. Ask God for the wisdom and strength to understand and obey His Word
( Psa. 119:5, 6 ).
3. End your study with prayer( Psa. 119:10-11 ).
C. UTILIZE VARIOUS HELPS.