Subject One To Another
A. MISUNDERSTOOD, HATED, RESENTED, DISBELIEVED.
B. BEST UNDERSTOOD IN CONTEXT:
1. Of Ephesians. The church and the character of its members.
2. Of Ephesians 5:21.
C. LET'S STUDY IT FURTHER.
A. JESUS AS OUR EXAMPLE( Matt. 20:26-28 ). James and John.
B. THE PURPOSE OF SUBMISSION.
1. Being a part of the whole( Rom. 12:4-5 ). Body and/or family.
2. Why the diversity in the body( 1 Cor. 12:4-7; Eph. 4:16 ). So in the family.
3. Not for personal glory, but for utility and the glory of Christ.
A. WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
1. Translations are good enough. "Head." "Subject."
2. "As unto the Lord." "In everything."
1. Creation( 1 Cor. 11:3, 8-10 ).
2. Sin( 1 Tim. 2:13-14 ).
C. WHAT ALL IS INVOLVED?
1. Gen. 2:18. A help meet.
2. Titus 2:4-5. A power position.
a. "The hand that rocks the cradle...."
b. "Behind every successful man...."
D. Eph. 5:21. WHY IS SHE THERE?
A. THE HUSBAND IS THE HEAD OF THE WIFE.
1. Not the ultimate authority( 1 Cor. 11:3 ).
2. Like the elder( Heb. 13:17; 1 Pet. 5:2-3 ).
3. Like the rudder of a ship...Last( vs. 25; vs. 21 ).
4. Like Jesus( Matt. 20:26-28 ).
B. JESUS' TREATMENT OF THE CHURCH IS HIS MODEL( vs. 25-33 ).
Christ Loved the Church.
1. Sacrificed himself( his will, benefit, pleasure, welfare )for it.
2. Sanctified his bride. Set her apart. Special. Pedestal.
3. Glories in her.
4. Loves and nourishes as his own flesh. Seeks her best welfare.
5. Leaves his father and mother.
1. Eph. 6:1. God said so.
2. vs. 2-3. It is best.
B. YOU WANT TO BE CONSIDERED GROWN UP?
1. You must act like one.
2. You are responsible before God( Ecc. 12:13-14 ).
C. FATHER KNOWS BEST.
2. What is your parent's motive and perspective.
a. They are concerned with what's best, not necessarily what's fun.
b. Their love is more than you can understand.
3. ( Prov. 3:1-8 )
D. Eph. 5:21. YOU HAVE A VITAL ROLE, BUT YOU MUST SERVE.
A. PROVOKE NOT YOUR CHILDREN TO WRATH.
1. Doesn't mean don't make them mad.
2. Give no occasion for rebellion or bitterness.
B. NURTURE THEM
1. In the chastening( Heb. 12:7-11 ).
2. And admonition of the Lord( 1 Tim. 5:8 ).
C. WHY ARE PARENTS AUTHORITY FIGURES?( Eph. 5:21 ).
A. OUR ROLE IS FOR SERVICE, NOT TO BE SERVED.
B. VITAL TO THE FAMILY.
C. IT IS SERVICE TO GOD AND CHRIST.