Surely God is Good to Israel
A. ASAPH EXAMINES THE PROSPEROUS ABOUT HIM.
1. They have more than a hear could wish( vs. 7 ).
2. In willful pride and affluence they set their mouth against heaven( vs. 9 ).
3. They still seem to prosper.
B. WHY TO THE WICKED PROSPER WHILE OPPOSING GOD AND TRUTH.
1. At the same time the faithful struggle with life.
2. Asaph fails to evaluate the situation from a spiritual perspective.
3. We need to see things from the other side( 1 Sam. 16:7 ).
4. Psalm 73 begins with Asaph looking at things as man seeth.
A. PITS MAN'S WISDOM AGAINST GOD'S( 1 Cor. 1:27-29 ).
1. Asaph's response based on an emotional view.
a. Emotions can be a good thing, when they are directed by the Word.
b. They can be a dangerous master( 2 Cor. 6:12; 1 John 2:15 ).
c. Proper emotions result from proper knowledge( 1 John 4:19 ).
d. Belief comes from hearing and evaluating the Word( Rom. 10:17 ).
2. God works according to his wisdom, not ours.
a. We should be grateful( Isa. 55:8-9 ).
b. A lack of trust and a worldly perspective make us like Asaph( vs. 2 ).
c. Peter's example( Matt. 14:28-31 ).
3. Where is our anchor( Jer. 10:23; Psa. 119:105; Prov. 3:7 ).
B. CREATES ENVY( v.3. ).
1. The Christian's perspective in life( Matt. 6:33 ).
2. The world's perspective produces this fruit( Gal. 5:16, 19-21 )
3. The Christian is more concerned about where he is going than what is going
on in other people's lives( Col. 3:1-2; Matt. 6:19-21 ).
a. There's joy and contentment( Rom. 12:15; Phil. 4:11; 1 Tim. 6:6-8 ).
b. There is peace of mind( Phil. 4:6-7 ).
4. This perspective is plagued and extremely painful ( vs. 13-16 ).
A. IN THE SANCTUARY OF GOD'S WISDOM ASAPH CAME TO AN UNDERSTANDING( v. 17 ).
REALITY SEEN IN FINAL OUTCOME.
1. Fate of the faithless( vs. 17-20 ).
2. Fate of the faithful( vs. 23-24 ).
3. Why couldn't Asaph see this?( vs. 21-22 ).
B. GOD'S WISDOM REVEALED THROUGH INSPIRATION( 1 Cor. 2:11-16 ).
1. Revealed truth appeals to the spiritually minded( vs. 14-16 ).
2. Through revealed truth we can know how to live( Titus 2:11-13 ).
3. And have hope in troubled times( 1 Cor. 15:19; 2 Cor. 4:13-15 ).
4. This hope keeps us faithful( Heb. 6:19 ).
C. BECAUSE HE SOUGHT THE LORD, THE LORD TOOK HOLD OF HIS
RIGHT HAND( vs. 25-28 ).
1. Only possible through the Lord's council( vs. 23-24 ).
2. The Lord's counsel is life( Psa. 16:7-8; Prov. 3:5-9 ).
A. WE NEED TO SEE THINGS FROM A SPIRITUAL PERSPECTIVE.
1. In that there is always the light of the Lord.
2. We look not at the things that are upon the earth( Col. 3:2 ).
B. HE IS GOOD TO THOSE WHO TRUST HIM ENOUGH TO FOLLOW HIS COUNSEL.