A. OUR TEXT TEACHES THAT GOD BORE WITNESS TO THE APOSTLE'S PREACHING WITH MIRACLES.
B. THE PURPOSE OF MIRACLES WASN'T FLESHLY GRATIFICATION. IT WAS FOR
THE CHURCH'S BENEFIT( 1 Cor. 12:4-7 ).
C. HOW LONG WERE MIRACLES TO LAST AND WHAT IS A MIRACLE?
A. NOT JUST SOMETHING WONDERFUL THAT WE DON'T UNDERSTAND.
1. Not natural phenomena - Birth, life, healing.
2. Not beating the odds - plane crashes, Dodgers, etc.
3. Not the exercise of unusual talents, Autistic Savants.
B. MIRACLE, dunamis, "power, inherent ability, is used of works of a supernatural origin &
character, such as could not be produced by natural agents or means" ( Vine ). "An
event or action that apparently contradicts known scientific laws and is hence thought to
be due to supernatural causes, esp. to an act of God" ( Webster ).
A. THOSE WHO RECEIVED HOLY SPIRIT BAPTISM.
1. The apostles( Acts 2:1-4 ).
2. Cornelius( Acts 10:44-48 )before he was saved.
3. Both cases a new teaching came to light( 11:13-18 ).
B. THEY UPON WHOM THE APOSTLES LAID HANDS( 8:14-19; 19:6 ).
C. NOT ALL HAD THESE POWERS( 1 Cor. 12:28-29; Acts 8:14-16 ).
A. 1 Cor. 13. CONTEXT FIRST!
1. The result of inspiration( 2:16 )
2. ch. 12. A troubled church.
a. Competition between tongues and prophets.
b. Same Spirit, different gifts, to profit the church.
c. We must pursue greater gifts than these( vs. 31 ).
B. 3 ARGUMENTS TO SHOW LOVE AS A MORE DESIRABLE GIFT.
1. Love is more basic( vs. 1-3 ). It can stand without miracles.
Miracles can't stand without love.
2. Love profoundly affects our lives( vs. 4-7 ).
They had miracles but none of the benefits named here.
3. Love is greater because of duration( vs. 8-13 ).
a. Love never fails, but miracles do. When? When that which is perfect
is come( contrast with partial knowledge )( 2 Tim. 3:16-17 ).
b. vs 11. What are the childish things? Context!
c. vs. 12. Our vision unclear...need for confirmation.
Now: 1 Cor. one of the first. They saw in a mirror darkly, they
knew in part.
Then: When that which is perfect is come( 2 Tim.3 ), face to face,
fully know as we are known( 2:16 ).
d. vs. 13. 3 greatest gifts - duration.
Faith doesn't last forever, but outlasts miracles.
Hope doesn't either( Rom. 8:24 ), yet...
Love lasts forever, therefore it is the greatest.
C. Zechariah 13. THE CONTEXT TELLS US WHEN.
1. ch. 12:10. "They shall look unto me whom they have pierced"
a. Rev. 1:7. The right language but no fulfillment claim.
b. John 19:37. Fulfillment claimed, the death of Jesus.
2. ch. 13:1. "A fountain opened...for sin and for uncleanness."
a. Heb. 9:13-15; Rom. 3:23-26. Only one fountain, for all on both
sides of the cross.
b. "In that day" when they look unto him whom they have pierced.
3. ch. 13:7. "The sheep shall be scattered."
( Mat. 26:31 ). Fulfilled "this night."
D. ch. 13:2-6. THE END OF PROPHECY.
1. "In that day"( vs. 2 ). What day?
2. The prophets and the unclean spirit to pass out of the land ( vs. 2b ).
3. The death penalty for the prophet( vs. 3; Deut. 18:20-22 ).
4. Ashamed of his vision.
5. The hairy mantle( 2 Kings 2:8-15 ).
6. vs. 5. Those who would be prophets will find other work.
E. SOME OBSERVATIONS ABOUT Zech. 13:
1. In that day is used not to point out an hour on the clock, or a specific day. It is
used to describe a time-frame. "In my day..."
2. The time-frame is the period surrounding Jesus' death.
3. After this those claiming to be prophets are called liars.
4. Neither is there time or place for exorcists.