The Earth is Jehovah's
A. BY DAVID WHEN THE ARK WAS BROUGHT INTO JERUSALEM.
1. Taken by Philistines, worshippers of the idol Dagon.
2. Destruction of the idol and calamitous return.
B. A SONG OF PRAISE TO A BENEVOLENT CREATOR WHO UPHOLDS THE
PRINCIPLE OF HOLINESS AMONG HIS PEOPLE.
C. IN THIS PSALM WE SEE GOD'S POWER IN CREATION AND HIS VICTORY
FOR US OVER SATAN.
A. HE FOUNDED IT UPON THE SEAS - HE CREATED IT( Acts 14:17 ).
1. The testimony of his creation( Psa. 19:1-6; 33:6-9; Jer. 10:11-13 ).
2. The skeptic is without excuse( Rom. 1:20 ).
B. OWNERSHIP, EARTH IS HIS.
1. Deut. 10:14; Job 41:11; 1 Cor. 10:26.
2. God is not a dependent of man's( Psa. 50:10-12; Acts 17:24-27 )
3. He has made a disposition as it pleased him( Dan. 4:25 ).
C. MAN'S PLACE
1. Man is given dominion( Psa. 8; Gen. 1:26-30 ).
2. Dominion is a stewardship( 1 Cor. 4:2 ).
a. Applies to all in the world.
b. Doesn't mean we can't use what is here( 1 Tim. 4:3-5 ).
D. ONE OTHER IMPLICATION - NO IDOLS( 1 Cor. 10:14 ).
1. There are no other gods( 1 Cor. 8:4-6 ).
2. God cannot be portrayed by statues( Acts 17:28-29 ).
3. To attempt such is ungodliness and leads further( Rom. 1:22-27 ).
A. FELLOWSHIP WITH GOD.
1. Created in His image( Gen. 1:26 ). Righteous.
2. Sin mars the image. No longer like God, nothing in common, no fellowship
3. Redemption restores the image. That's what it's about( Col. 3:9-10 )
4. God provides the means for restoration in Jesus( 2 Pet. 1:3-4 ).
B. WE MUST KEEP OUR HANDS CLEAN AND OUR HEARTS PURE.
1. Fellowship with God can be lost( Gal. 5:4 ).
2. If we walk in darkness( 1 John 1:6-7 ).
3. What can we do about our sin?( 1 John 1:7-10).
4. We must hate our sin and clean it out( James 4:7-10 ).
A. GOD, THROUGH JESUS IS THE VICTOR.
1. The great war in heaven( Rev. 12:7-12 ).
2. Followed by a great warfare on earth( Eph. 6:12 ).
3. The victory of Jesus is our victory( 1 Cor. 15:55-57 ).
4. We must trust Jesus and his might( Eph. 6:10-13 ).
5. Through faith, the victory is ours( 1 John 5:4 ).
1. The prize is ours( 2 Tim. 4:6-8 ).
2. We are heirs of God( 1 Pet. 1:3-5 ).
3. Eternal life in the presence of the Lord( 1 Thess. 4:16-18; Rev. 22:3-5 ).
4. Rev. 22:20.
In Christ and in faith, we have the ultimate victory.
Jeff S Smith