The Foolishness of the Gospel
A. TOO QUICK TO BRAND AS FOOLISH THINGS WE DON'T UNDERSTAND.
B. TRUE ABOUT GOD'S REVELATION OF HIS WILL.
1. The finite mind cannot comprehend the infinite( Isa. 55:8-9 ).
2. God doesn't need a counsellor( 1 Cor. 2:16 ).
3. Somethings are hidden from us( Deut. 29:29 ).
C. THERE IS NO FOOLISHNESS IN GOD'S WILL.
A. GALILEO taught the earth was not the center, but the sun. Catholic reaction.
B. COLUMBUS believed the earth was round. Laughed at. ( Isa. 40:22 ).
C. ROBERT FULTON, Fulton's Folly believed dangerous and unworkable.
D. SEWARD'S ICEBOX, $7,200,000. Paid for in first year by its fishing industry.
E. SAMUEL MORSE, telegraph. WRIGHT BROS., BELL, EDISON.
F. ALL THESE SUCCEEDED IN SPITE OF RIDICULE.
A. NOAH'S ARK( Heb. 11:1, 6 ). In the middle of dry land.
B. MOSES STRIKING THE ROCK( Exo. 17:6 ). Think about it.
C. A BRAZEN SERPENT( Num. 21:8 ). No logic there.
D. CIRCLING JERICHO( Josh. 6:4-5 ).
E. REDUCING THE ARMY FROM 32,300 TO 300( Judges 7 ).
F. NAAMAN DIPPING IN THE JORDAN( 2 Kings 5 ). No logic there either.
A. SALVATION BY FAITH SEEMS FOOLISH TO SOME.
1. Some deny sin and the need( Rom. 3:23; 6:23 ).
2. Surely, my God wouldn't send people to Hell( John 8:24; Rev. 21:8 ).
3. Believing and obeying the gospel is God's power to save( Rom. 1:16 ).
4. The gospel of Jesus is God's power( Acts 4:12; 1 Cor. 1:21-24 ).
5. But we must have faith( Heb. 11:6; Mark 16:16 ).
B. THE NECESSITY OF REPENTANCE IS FOOLISH TO SOME.
1. Repentance, metanoia "afterthought, change of mind, repentance."
a. Change of knowledge( Acts 17:30 ).
b. Change of affections( Rom. 12:9 ).
c. Change of action( Matt. 7:16-18; Col. 3:9-10 ).
d. Demands restitution where possible( Luke 19:8 ).
2. This kind of change is too much for some.
C. BAPTISM FOR REMISSION OF SINS SEEMS FOOLISH TO UNBELIEVERS.
1. No logical connection( 1 Pet. 3:21 ).
2. Jesus commanded baptism and gave to it its purpose
( Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38; Rom. 6:3-4 ).
3. What was the reaction of the people?
a. They did not demand to see the logic, but recognized his authority
( Matt. 28:18-20 )..
b. Those who believed did what?( Act 2:41; 8:12 ).
A. MANY THINGS GOD HAS DONE ARE BEYOND MY UNDERSTANDING.
B. GOD REVEALS TO ME THAT WHICH I MUST ACCEPT TO BE BLESSED;
AND THAT I ACCEPT IN TRUSTING FAITH.
C. WILL YOU DEMONSTRATE YOUR FAITH OBEYING?