The Gift of the Holy Spirit
A. MUCH CONTROVERSY INVOLVING BAPTISM & THE HOLY SPIRIT.
B. WE WANT TO DISCUSS WITH EMPHASIS ON THE "GIFT" OF THE H.S.
A. CONTEXT CONNECTS THE GIFT WITH THE PROMISE( vs. 39 ).
B. IT IS A PROMISE MADE TO ALL.
1. You and your children( Jews ).
2. All that are afar off( Eph. 2:13 ).
3. All who are called - all the saved.
A. NOT MIRACLES!
1. Not all saved received miraculous power( 1 Cor. 12:28-31 )
2. How did miracles come?( Acts 8:14-21 ). Some without gifts.
3. How does the "GIFT" come?( Acts 2:38 ).
B. AN OT PROMISE.
1. Gen. 3:15. No Jew/Gentile distinction yet. Victory over sin( Acts 2:38 ).
2. Gen. 12:1-3. Gentiles brought in.
C. THE NT APPLICATION( Gal. 3 ).
1. Justification not by race or deeds, but by faith( vs. 6-9 )
2. The law of Moses did not fulfill( vs. 10-12 ).
3. Jesus fulfills( vs. 13-14 ).
a. How? by becoming the curse for us.
b. To what purpose? that the Gentiles might inherit.
- that we might receive the PROMISE OF THE SPIRIT.
4. "Promise" used & described thruout chapter.
a. to his seed( vs. 16: Gen. 22:15-18 ).
b. not thru the Law which points to promise( vs. 17-22 )
c. what does the Law bring us to?( vs. 23-25 ).
5. The result:
a. vs. 26-27. Sons of God thru faith.
b. vs. 28. No distinction, promise made to all.
c. vs. 29. Heirs according to promise.
D. THE GIFT OF THE HOLY SPIRIT IS JUSTIFICATION BY FAITH.
1 vs. 26-27. Faith without works dead( James 2:24 ).
2. Gal. 5:6.
A. IN RESPONSE TO THE QUESTION OF vs. 37.
B. REPENT AND BE BAPTIZED.
1. Repent: a change of heart toward sin & a change of life.
2. Baptism: Immersion in water( Acts 8:36-38; 10:47; Eph. 5:26 ).
C. EVERY ONE OF YOU IN THE NAME OF CHRIST.
D. "FOR" OR "UNTO" THE REMISSION OF SINS( Mat. 26:28 ).
E. THE GIFT A PROMISE, NOT A COMMAND. A RESULT OF OBEDIENCE,
NOT LAYING ON OF HANDS.