A. GODHEAD = GODHOOD USED AS MANHOOD, WHAT MAKES A MAN.
1. Expresses the state, dignity, condition, quality of God.
2. When Godhood is applied, we affirm that all that enters into the idea of God
belongs to the subject.
3. Godhood = Divinity = Deity.
B. USED THREE TIMES.
1. Acts 17:29. theion, very definite to the heathen for contrast.
2. Rom. 1:20. theiotes, the whole of that by which God is constituted.
3. Col. 2:9. theotes, the state of being God.
A. GOD, THE FATHER.
1. Creator ( Gen. 1:1; Heb. 1:1-2 ).
2. Father ( Heb. 12:9; 1 Pet. 1:3; John 12:49-50 )
3. Acts 17:24-29.
B. GOD, THE SON ( John 5:17-18 )..
1. The essence of God ( Col. 2:9; Phil. 2:5-8; Heb. 1 ).
2. Many of the names of God applied to Jesus. Why?
a. His work ( John 14:6-10 )
b. His nature ( John 8:24, 58 ).
3. Son of Man θ Son of God( John 3:13-14 θ John 3:16; 20:30-31 ).
C. GOD, THE HOLY SPIRIT.
1. Possesses Divine characteristics.
2. Placed 3rd in the Godhead.
3. Distinct from God and Jesus.
a. Jesus speaks not from himself ( John 12:49 ).
b. Neither does the Holy Spirit ( John 16:13 ).
A. ALL THREE PRESENT IN CREATION ( Gen. 1:1 ). Plural form.
1. Gen. 1:2. The Holy Spirit was there.
2. John 1:1-3. Jesus was there.
B. ALL WERE INVOLVED IN MANS CREATION ( Gen. 1:26; 3:22 ).
C. THE NEW TESTAMENT EMBRACES THIS ( Matt. 28:19-20 ).
1. By the authority of all three.
2. Fellowship of purpose and will.
D. Rom. 15:30. PRAYER TO GOD, AUTHORITY OF JESUS, THE SPIRITS LOVE.
E. 2 Cor. 13:14. GOD, JESUS, THE SPIRIT GRACE, LOVE, COMMUNION.
A. MUST STUDY THE BIBLE ANYTHING ELSE IS FALSE.
B. GOD IS REVEALED IN THE SCRIPTURES ( 1 John 4:1, 6 ).
C. Matt. 15:8-9. FALSE IDEAS LEAD TO CONFUSION
1. False ideas confuse purpose and worship.
2. They lead to unscriptural purpose and anarchy.
3. The contradict Scripture ( 2 John 9 ).
4. They close the book.
1. 3-fold manifestation of one person ( John 12:49-50; 16:13; 15:26 ).
2. 3 Persons but only one divine person:
a. 1 Cor. 8:6; John 1:1; Phil. 2:6; Acts 5:3-4.
b. Matt. 28:19.
3. How do we explain One God?
a. Contrast with Polytheism ( Eph. 4:6 ).
b. Unity a Godhead ( John 17:20-21 ).
E. IMPORTANT TO STUDY
1. Because of the great interest today.
2. Because whatever is revealed is vital.
A. THE BIBLE SAYS MUCH ABOUT THE GODHEAD.
B. SOME THINGS IT DOES NOT TELL US.
C. WHAT IS REVEALED, WE MUST TREASURE.