The Goodness and Severity of God
A. EASY TO SEE GOD'S GOODNESS - MANY REFUSE TO SEE SEVERITY.
1 "God is not so cruel as to send people to Hell."
2. "My God is not one of vengeance, but of mercy and love."
B. MANY FAIL TO UNDERSTAND HIS RIGHTEOUS NATURE - JUSTICE.
C. OUR TEXT TELLS OF GOD'S GOODNESS AND SEVERITY.
A. SEEN IN HIS CONCERN FOR OUR PHYSICAL WELL-BEING.
1. God created man in his image( Gen. 1:27 ).
2. He gave man dominion( Gen. 1:26 ).
3. Provides all we need to live( Gen. 1:29-30; 1 Tim. 6:17; James 1:17 ).
B. HIS CONCERN FOR OUR SPIRITUAL NEEDS.
1. When man first fell, God announced his intentions( Gen. 3:15 ).
2. He sent his Son to be our Savior( John 3:16 ).
3. While we were in rebellion( Rom. 5:8 ).
4. Therefore we are saved by grace, not merit( Eph. 2:8-9; Rom. 6:23 ).
5. God grants all a knowledge of that salvation thru the gospel( Rom. 1:16-17 ).
6. All we need for salvation is revealed( 2 Tim. 3:16-17 ).
C. IS SEEN IN THAT HE OFFERS GRACE TO ALL( Titus 2:11-12 ).
1. God want all to be saved( 1 Tim. 2:3-4; 2 Pet. 3:9 ).
2. He invites all to come( Mark 16:15-16; Rev. 22:17 ).
D. IF WE APPRECIATE HIS GOODNESS, WE WILL REPENT( Rom. 2:4 ).
A. SEEN IN HIS DEALINGS WITH PEOPLE IN THE BIBLE.
1. Adam and Eve( Gen. 3:3, 19, 22-24 ).
2. The Flood( Gen. 6:5-7 ).
3. Sodom and Gomorrah( Gen. 19:24-25 ).
4. Lot's wife( Gen. 19:26 ).
5. Moses( Num. 20:7-12 ).
6. Nadab and Abihu( Lev. 10:1-2 ).
7. Ananias and Sapphira( Acts 5:1-11 ).
8. Herod( Acts 12:21-23 ).
B. SEEN IN STATEMENTS FOUND IN THE NT.
1. Heb. 10:31.
2. Why?( Matt. 10:28 ).
3. All are going to answer( 2 Cor. 5:10; Heb. 4:12-13 ).
4. Those found wanting will be punished( Rom. 2:5-9; Rev. 20:15 ).
C. IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO OBEY IN ALL THINGS.
A. WHAT STICKS IN OUR MINDS - HIS GOODNESS OR SEVERITY.
B. BOTH USED TO MOTIVATE IN THE NT.
C. THINK ON THESE THINGS.