The Importance of Faithfulness
TEXT: 1 Cor. 10:1-13
A. THE LESSON OF FAITHFULNESS IS BADLY NEED IN THE CHURCH (Matt. 10:22; Rev. 2:10).
B. ISRAEL SERVES AS OUR EXAMPLE (1 Cor. 10:6, 10).
I.THE PRIVILEGES OF ISRAEL (vs. 1-4).
A. GOD HAD ABUNDANTLY BLESSED ISRAEL.
1. God delivered them from Egypt when he caused them to pass through the sea(Ex. 14:30-31).
2. God chose them out of mercy for Abrahamís sake (Deut. 7:7-8).
3. God sustained a murmuring people in the Wilderness:
a. Mana (Ex. 16).
b. Water (Ex. 17 & Numbers 20).
4. God provided guidance (Ex. 13:21-22).
B. GOD HAS ABUNDANTLY BLESSED US TODAY.
1. Delivered us from sin and Satan (Rom. 6:17-18; Col. 1:13).
2. Delivered without merit (Titus 3:4-7).
3. We are sustained by the Bread of Life (John 6:30-35).
4. We are guided by faith in his word to our promised land (Rom. 1:17; 10:17; 14:23).
II.THE UNFAITHFULNESS OF ISRAEL (vs. 5-10).
A. IN SPITE OF THE BLESSINGS, ISRAEL SINNED.
1. Sin of lust (vs. 6).
a. Example (Num. 11:4-35). Tired of manna, desired meat and Egypt.
b. Punished with a great plague.
2. Sin of idolatry (vs. 7).
a. Ex. 32. The Golden Calf.
b. 3,000 died.
3. Sin of fornication (vs. 8).
a. Num. 25:1-9. Adultery with women of Moab and idolatry.
b. 24,000 killed by plague.
4. Sin of tempting God (vs. 9).
a. Num. 21:4-9 at Mt. Hor.
b. Fiery serpents.
5. Sin of murmuring (vs. 10).
a. Num. 14:1-38. 12 spies Ė murmuring against Moses.
b. 40 Years.
B. IN SPITE OF GODíS BLESSING, WE SIN AS THEY DID.
1. We lust, looking back (Luke 9:62; Rom. 12:9).
2. Idolatry, putting something before God (1 John 2:15; Matt. 6:33).
3. Fornication Ė service to fleshly appetites (Gal. 5:19ff.).
4. Testing derives from a doubting heart (James 1:6-8).
5. Do we murmur and complain? (Phil. 2:12-15; vs. 10).
III.ENCOURAGEMENT TO FAITHFULNESS (vs. 10-11).
A. A WARNING AGAINST SELF-SUFFICIENCY (vs. 11-12).
1. Vigilance (1 Pet. 5:8; Eph. 5:15-16).
2. Introspection (2 Cor. 13:5).
3. We wonít just get by and get in (Luke 13:24).
B. WE CAN BE FAITHFUL (vs. 13).
1. We all have temptation in common (Heb. 4:15). God limits.
2. There is an escape (Eph. 6:16; Phil. 4:4-7) Faith and Joy! (Phil. 4:13).
A. IT IS POSSIBLE FOR US TO OVERCOME AND REMAIN FAITHFUL.
B. REMEMBER ISRAEL.