Now that I am a Christian
A. TWO ERRONEOUS ATTITUDES re. RELATIONSHIP OF THE INDIVIDUAL
MEMBER TO THE LOCAL CONGREGATION.
1. “The only obligation I have as a Christian is individual
– no obligation to the local church.”
a. Attitude divests the individual of all responsibility to his brethren.
b. Prevents one from being involved in the work of the Lord.
2. The 2nd confuses what I can do as an individual with what the church can do.
B. BECAUSE THE CHURCH IS COMPRISED OF BRETHREN AND I AM A CHILD
OF GOD, I HAVE AN OBLIGATION TO THE CHURCH.
A. BOTH AS INDIVIDUALS AND COLLECTIVELY.
1. Matt. 18:15-16; Acts 18:26; Gal. 6:10; James 1:27; 1 Tim. 5:16.
2. 2 Cor. 8:1-2; Matt. 18:17; 2 Cor. 11:8-9.
B. NO RECORD OF THE CHURCH FUNCTIONING IN THE UNIVERSAL SENSE.
1. Each church is autonomous – Universal action denies this.
2. Only this is revealed. Members function collectively through the local church.
Nothing larger or smaller.
C. EXAMPLES OF CONGREGATIONAL ACTION.
1. Macedonia ( 2 Cor. 11:8-9 ).
2. Thessalonica ( 1 Thess. 1:6-8 ).
3. Philippi ( Phil. 1:3-5; 4:15-18 ). Only the Philippians. Not a society.
4. Antioch ( Acts 13:1-3 ).
A. NOT RECREATION … BALL-GAMES, PARTIES, CAMPS, ETC.
B. NOT SECULAR EDUCATION.
C. NOT MEDICAL … FIGHTING DISEASE, BUILDING HOSPITALS.
D. NOT PENAL REHABILITATION OR PSYCHIATRIC CARE.
E. NO ONE WOULD ARGUE THE IMPROPRIETY OF THE INDIVIDUAL
ENGAGING IN THESE THINGS, BUT THE CHURCH?
F. QUESTIONS ASKED ABOUT THIS:
1. Where is the scripture that condemns the church doing these things ( 2 John 9 ).
2. If these things lead others to Jesus, what is the harm? ( Heb. 8:5 ).
3. God’s plan? His power is in the word ( 1 Cor. 1:21; Rom. 1:16 ).
A. TEACHING THE GOSPEL ( 1 Tim. 3:15 ).
B. TEACHING THE SAINTS ( 1 Thess. 5:11 ).
C. LIMITED BENEVOLENCE ( 1 Cor. 16:1-2; 1 Tim. 5:16 ).
A. WE CAN’T EXPRESS STRONGLY ENOUGH THE RESPONSIBILITY EACH
INDIVIDUAL HAS T THE LOCAL CHURCH ( Eph. 4:16 ).
B. IF YOU ARE A MEMBER, YOU MUST DO YOUR PART.